State placement? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
State placement?

bportstate16
How does a wrestler get awarded 2nd place at the state tournament without even reaching the finals? That doesnt hardly seem right. If the PSAL kids can not place then why let them in the tournament

Takelessons
Exactly. A state placement has to be earned and not given... I hope this wrestler isn't walking around bragging to all his buddies that he got second. There is no class in that. He should be proud of his 3rd place accomplishment though! You have to earn your placement NOT have it handed to you!

dblgrapethm
It's because there are 2 levels for awards presentation:

One is Federation (top 6 place finishers which includes CSHAA, PSAL and NYSPHSAA) schools

Other is strictly NYSPHSAA schools. (1st top 6 when you take out private school wrestlers who placed)

Anytime there is someone in top 6 from CSHAA or PSAL, then the 7 and 8 place wrestlers (provided at least 1 is public school) have to determine who fills the void when they take the private school wrestler off the podium for the NYSPHSAA presentation.

At least that's what I've heard.

bportstate16
dblgrapethm wrote:
It's because there are 2 levels for awards presentation:

One is Federation (top 6 place finishers which includes CSHAA, PSAL and NYSPHSAA) schools

Other is strictly NYSPHSAA schools. (1st top 6 when you take out private school wrestlers who placed)

Anytime there is someone in top 6 from CSHAA or PSAL, then the 7 and 8 place wrestlers (provided at least 1 is public school) have to determine who fills the void when they take the private school wrestler off the podium for the NYSPHSAA presentation.

At least that's what I've heard.
So it is strictly for podium pictures? The wrestler didnt actually take 2nd place?

swank
How is it decided between the 7 and 8 who gets to stand on the podium and receive 6th? From what I've observed they don't ever wrestle...

bportstate16
swank wrote:
How is it decided between the 7 and 8 who gets to stand on the podium and receive 6th? From what I've observed they don't ever wrestle...
Im not sure but it doesnt seem right. In other weight classes where somebody actually beat the private school athlete, they wont have the opportunity to have a placement handed to them as in this case

Takelessons
If you only wrestled in the consolation finals then you should not be bragging about taking 2nd place and having an award that WAS NOT earned given to you.. If you took third then you took third... PERIOD!!

bportstate16
Takelessons wrote:
If you only wrestled in the consolation finals then you should not be bragging about taking 2nd place and having an award that WAS NOT earned given to you.. If you took third then you took third... PERIOD!!
Nobody is bragging. I was just curious. But if someone is bragging it only makes the look like a fool. The state will always recognize his as a 3rd place finisher as i am told. No wherd in the record books will he be shown as 2nd.

Oldskool
This is not something new, been around for years.

wrestlingphotog
195 D2 NYSPHSAA Champion was beaten in the final............he is the NYSPHSAA Champion.
The actual winner was a PSAL wrestler who wins the Federation Championship..............not NYSPHSAA.
PSAL is not in the NYSPHSAA.

gofigure3123
Thanks for clearing up wrestlingphotog. Lets hope the boys cherish their awards and know that many many people are proud of them all

jpp
second day there are only 8 wrestlers left in each weight. next wrestleback winners guaranteed to place. losers do wrestle if there is a catholic or psal kid in medal rounds. winner of the 7 and 8 kids gets his picture taken in 6th in NYSPHSAA picture.

WrestlerofthePast
JPP,

I thought they do round 1 (16 wrestlers)
Quarters
One round of wrestlebacks

Day 2 should have 12 wrestlers in each weight

ONLY 4 wrestlers would be 0-2 if this is correct

8 drop to wrestlebacks
4 lose.

16-4 = 12.

krosko
I would not blame the kid for anything here, especially if he received the second place medal without being in the finals, because it is not his fault. He is not the one who set the tournament up this way. So lets not go off on the kids. First, it should be a NYSPHSAA tournament without the PSAL, CHSAA, and the AIS. They each have their own championship tournaments that our kids do not get to participate in, so why should they be in ours? After our tournament has crowned its place winners then let the four state associations - NYSPHSAA, PSAL, CHSAA, and AIS - run one more tournament together with the top six place finishers from each groups tournaments in each weight class for an overall state federation champion. They do it for basketball and for cross-country, why not wrestling?
Page 1 of 1