ONE CLASS- ONE TOURNEY View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
ONE CLASS- ONE TOURNEY

LImarty
I never thought I would commend a Blue Devil ..lol.... being a Wildcat at heart.

1974/1975 Football

Walt Whitman Wildcats 32- Huntington Blue Devis 30.

good work Coach Romeo .

CALISTYLE
These sound good! We all have stories from Coaching HS wrestlers and wen
I spent a yr at Sweet Home! I had a Tuff wrestler in Nic Stalla! He was 39-0 going to the show! Went 2-2 and was close to placing!! Well on that team we had some great up and coming talent!! Daquan
BURNY Zach Fummerlle and GAGE BATEMAN!! These wrestlers made the sec 6 finals 2 yrs in a row only to end up 2nd their junior and senior yrs! We didn't have bonus pts and none of them made the state tournament!!GREAT KIDS AND WRESTLERS!! My thoughts are if u make the sectional finals u should go to the SHOW-STATES!' PERIOD!! They went and watched but they had trained all their lives lost close matches both yrs and sat home!! I wish these young men at the time could of came out of that tunnel just 1 time! We all have stories I'm sure but these are embedded in my head! Ha ha!! Hope the state comes up with a SOMETHING THATS GOOD FOR THE KIDS AND SPORT! HAVE A GREAT SEASON! COACH CALI!!

LImarty
CALI.

GREAT POST.

a Section XI wrestler a few years back from John Glenn HS/ Mike Bosco....made it to the Sectional semis as a senior (1-1)-lost in OT . He never got a trip to the State Tourney- in the same season he beat 5 wrestlers who made it to Albany ( beating 3 Section Champs at the UE Duals etc.).

quickpick
Let's push this into effect!! The longer we wait, the more opportunities we are stripping from our wrestlers.

mbsuxx
Agree 100% with wrestler of the past!

One tournament - one champ!

Marty - thanks for keeping this going!

Coach Romeo - thanks for taking the time to post!

mbsuxx
Agree 100% with wrestler of the past!

One tournament - one champ!

Marty - thanks for keeping this going!

Coach Romeo - thanks for taking the time to post!

observerII
actually really surprised no one has every pushed the idea that you run 4 state tournaments and a true federation tournament.

Each class champion goes to a class state championship, then top 4 from each of the state class championships goes to a state federation championship, ONE Champ, each weight class event.

Each state event would make money, pick 5 sites state wide and rotate them, and then top 4 from each class fights it out for One Title. This also guarantees participation across the board as far as size of school goes.

antiquerassler
Before the current format they tried a separate Federation meet. Almost no one showed up, wrestlers or spectators. An extra week of travel, housing, expenses, etc. wasn't very well received by school districts, or the state. The NYSPHSAA is not obligated to include the Federation groups, the PSAL (NYC), CHSAA (catholic schools), or AIS (Association of Independent Schools) in any state championships since they are not a part of the state association. So the fact they are allowed to participate in the state championships is a concessionto the various sports by the NYSPHSAA. And, look at the results. Although the "Federation" schools are getting better, there still are not many who place.

LImarty
Not here to INSULT but, think about what you are saying gentilemen ....

FEDERATION (s) ????

There are X amount of wrestlers - wrestling at various High Schools in NYS- in various leagues, sections, divisions, - those who are in Parochial / Private/ City/ Public/ etc.etc.

Doesnt it make more sense to ELIMINATE all the hurdles to entrants- and- just qualify- and have a ONE TOURNEY- END ALL- .... NYS Championship.

The road getting there can be whatever way you like it. The ROAD to the NYS CHAMPIONSHIP is having ALL qualified reps from any HS small or large in New York State.

ENOUGH !!!! WITH THE RED TAPE POLITICS !!!! What an eye sore and poor sportsmenship removing wrestlers from the award podium- then putting them back up. UGLY display of reasoning - fair play .

ONE STATE- ONE TOURNEY- ONE CHAMPION.

provocateur
A one-class tourney with wild cards to the stronger sections is definitely better from a fan's perspective. There are good kids in both classes, but we don't have the depth of Ohio or PA to fill out the bracket. The state tournament at the War Memorial was so much better than the version we have now. If the same number of kids end up wrestling at the next level, why not?

LImarty
RARELY...Do I ever agree with this anti- Marty poster but,

The provoc-a-loon makes a good arguement. The SINGLE rep from each Section provided the State with the so called BEST kid from each area. The tweek of wildcards was an improvement IF, IF, the bias was eliminated and they would have kept it ONE DIVISION. Look, it comes down to RATIONAL thinking- dominant areas in NYS should be commended- and represented correctly at the State Tourney.

Equal representation- by Section- using small n large conclusive balance does NOT work in this Sport. REWARD the power in this Sport - do not level the playing field.

BEST kid - from a bracket that has at least 32 kids per weight in it....whether he wrestled for CVS Drug Store or he wrestled at King Kong Academy.

quickpick
I am a CVS alumni.....class of 1996

LImarty
Then you must get a good price on Charmin.

quickpick
Single ply only. Can't help much with the extra soft.

krosko
The NYS wrestling tournament does make money - all anyone has to do is look at the financial reports to see that. The two class system is fair and has brought in more spectators than the old system did. If anything look at most other states and you see them running more than two classes in their state championships. Then some of them go even further and have an overall championship with the best from each of those classes squaring off. Here in NY what they need to do is to have a NYS Federation tournament where they have the top 6 place finishers from NSPHSAA D1, NYSPHSAA D2, PSAL, CHSAA, and the AIS. But to say that the smaller schools do not deserve their piece of the pie is not right. Otherwise what's fair for one should be fair for all - make all sports in NY one class-one tournament. See how that logic goes over.
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next