Interview: Yianni Diakomihalis UWW World Champion/ 3x NY Sta View previous topic | View next topic

Page 6 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Interview: Yianni Diakomihalis UWW World Champion/ 3x NY Sta

curtisroad
You guys should go on a date! You have beaten this horse so many times it has been dead for years. Enough already. Talk about something else. Oh yea, you can't. Your both like two old ladies.

provocateur
If not for this thread, there wouldn't be anything going on this board.

curtisroad
How about this: Who is the best college coach in the history of NCAA Division 1 wrestling?

techbandit
hmmmm... GABLE. Hello? Then John Smith...then Don Murray squeeks out the bronze.

provocateur
Bill Koll should probably be on that list.

duckdragshrug
http://www.ncaa.com/history/wrestling/d1
Read digest and learn....
Obviously gable is #1 but your a little off on the rest:)

duckdragshrug
http://liwa.websitetoolbox.com/post/limarty-this-buds-for-you-6813095?&trail=25
same old limarty / martyr same old nutty argument. It never ends........

techbandit
duckdragshrug wrote:
http://www.ncaa.com/history/wrestling/d1
Read digest and learn....
Obviously gable is #1 but your a little off on the rest:)

(One of mine wasn't serious) maybe Cael will be on that list eventually...Dresser is a good coach too.

provocateur
I've been ribbing Marty about LI's underperformance at the NCAAs, so he used it as a way to denigrate LI wrestling to LI fans. The point that he was always missing is that the clubs upstate were a major reason for success at the next level. Now that LI has developed a club culture, I expect that will translate to the D1 level.

LImarty
CLUBs ???

LOL. provocadamis !!!

UNDERPERFORMANCE is not the responsibility of any Club or Team. It is individual. Many Elite/ VHW / ASCEND etc. etc. former wrestlers are presently "putting diapers on piss clams". Many have either quit the sport- and/or -couldnt make a starting DI line-up.

New York State as a whole is UNDERPERFORMING. Paddock, Rasheed, Rodriguez and Piccininni will be watched for their perseverence....Rodrigues/ILL, Realbuto/C, Abidin/N need to step up.

....your sale of Clubs - is comical.

"the heart of a lion can not be contained yet, the heart of a kitten can be compromised" LImarty

ps. If, Stony Brook Univ. was a DI wrestling school- this alone would create a Long Island hub for wrestlers who do not want to travel and it is financially doable. Hofstra/ is vertually dead because of " ridiculous cost" and really- not too many elite Long Island wrestlers can pass the entrance req. at Binghamton also, who the freak wants to wrestle and freeze 8 hrs away up in Buffalo.

btw- How many AAs are coming from these schools ???

provocateur
I'm not selling anything, Marty. The nearest club to me is literally thousands of miles away.

NY is underperforming? Let's see some numbers at the D1 level. LI is going to start putting up some AAs and a few champs. You'll find another way to spin it, though.

LImarty
AAs from NYS have been in decline for the last 10 yrs-

Long Island is finding it hard for wrestlers to STAY THE COURSE. Again, extremely hard for those who are not wrestling at Top 10 Programs. The loss of Tom Ryan at Hofstra didnt help Long Island wrestling-

I mentioned the wrestlers from NYS who are eligible- yet, I really do not see too many AAs in the near future.

provocateur
Let's see the numbers, please.

LImarty
Last year I believe it was 2- Realbuto/ Gwiz.

Each year since the 2009 IN HAS DECLINED. I can go back...but, wont

SIMPLISTIC- check out the NYS Champs since 2005 and see how they have faired many didnt wrestle for more than a year or two- others were no factors at the DI level...OTHERS , went JUCO/DIII with limited results.

Gotta be something between 0 and Dake !!!

New York State hasnt been a TOP TIER wrestling state for almost 8 yrs...and it is now select areas and a handful of individuals.

btw- I believe the Coaching for the most- can not compete with other Coaches around the Country. Many Coaches had very minimal resumes- and- can not raise the level of wrestlers.

quickpick
Marty,

You are missing a huge piece here. You think that success at the D1 level has to do solely with talent and you are wrong. There are several factors in college that are different than in high school.

1. High school you are under the constant supervision of your parents/teachers/coaches or whoever. It's relatively easy to keep an eye on these kids and make sure they are doing the right things in and out of season. At 18 years old they are thrown into an environment where they are free to make their own decisions and asking them to do that after someone has made the decision for them their whole life is often going to result in the wrong decision.
2. Keeping up with the rigors of a college workload AND practice is not something that everyone can do. It's a ton of pressure and your professor doesn't care that you have a 10 hour bus ride Friday, dual meet Saturday, and tournament Sunday.
3. Most kids were THE guy on their team in high school and now they are 3rd string behind a kid who couldn't make it out of his class in Pennsylvania but is exceptional at the first two points I brought up and wants it more than anyone in the room. Tough pill to swallow...
4. Girls, booze, drugs, etc. If they had it in high school, there's more in college. As an 18 year old, choose between cutting weight and fighting every weekend, or going nuts at the frat house and picking up a new girl every night.

The talent in NYS is good enough to succeed at the next level regardless of what you think. I don't know what team you were third string on in high school, or what coach didn't give you the opportunity but your visual analysis doesn't mean anything to anyone but you. The sport has evolved, not declined. The real problem is whether or not we are properly preparing our athletes for the reality of college and the real world. Your thoughts about technology and kids being sheltered is not incorrect, just misguided. These kids are physically every bit as tough as the guys who wrestled 30 years ago. Mentally most are a long way behind.
Page 6 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next