Certification; the good, bad , and the ugly. View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Certification; the good, bad , and the ugly.

mattime
Well its that time of year again. Personally, still trying to get kids hydrated for the certification process for this upcoming season. From what I can tell, this years hydration portion of certification has been a thorn in the side of the wrestlers, coaches, and parents. Good luck on the recertification and bring on the season!

LImarty
The ULTIMATE question that I have had about Certification has always been the same.....is ONE weight class below the wrestlers Certified weight...would this be considered unsafe ????

IMO- NO.

WrestlerofthePast
LIMarty,

This is why they have certified, licensed, professional health care workers who have no "dog in the fight" making these calls.

It's quite simple... Be hydrated and at the lowest weight you want to be come Certification Day, and there will be no issue and no reason to appeal. Not rocket science.

LImarty
W of the Past.

Getting 2 lbs in January isnt part of the equation- also, the Certification time- is not fair to a kid who might be a football player- and- or is not a year round wrestler. Let the kids practice- wrestle until Jan.1......then Certify them. Doing it in November isnt practical . Expecting a kid to diet out of season or in Sept/ Oct isnt the norm. I think a kid has a better grasp of what is expected of him- after the first practice...and it sounds better after Thanksgiving.

Again, my question- Does 1 weight class below a Certified weight make it UNSAFE ???? I choose to believe it isnt unsafe- and- when you see the SIZE of kids wrestling outside of New York you will be enlightened by the cheating that is going on....has been and always will be.

WrestlerofthePast
Just because other people are cheating, doesn't mean the process is wrong. I'm still waiting for that MOVIE to come out that had a great story line...Carter 145 that touches upon this subject (weight cutting)....

Everyone and I mean everyone knows that certification process is EARLY. You know what you're signing up for. If you play football, make arrangements. Cutting weight is part of the game, but a few deaths in the sport, one specifically that comes to mind, Jeff Reese, a wrestler I went to Cornell Camp with died from complications related to cutting weight. Yes, this was at the collegiate level, but HS and colleges took notice. There were a few deaths that occurred in a short period time which was the catalyst to get stricter guidelines on the certification process.

Safety has to come first in this situation. You have to draw a line somewhere. Everyone knows how the system works. Wrestlers and coaches need to be smart, and plan accordingly, well in advance of the actual day.

Would one weight class make all the difference?!?!? You're absolutely right, 99.9% of the time, no big deal.......but that 0.1% is what concerns NY and health care professionals around the state.

Keep in mind, a lower weight class doesn't necessarily give you a better chance of being successful.

firemenj
You know Marty, I'll sit back and laugh when you make asinine statements like Frank DeAnglis putting Yianni in the hospital. Your "opinion" is usually highly entertaining... but are you serious? Yes, one weight class below what hey certify is unsafe. Certification exists for a reason, and if other states are cheating or have less strigent systems then that will change once someone sues someone over a kid getting sick or hurt or dying.

You clearly have no idea how the certification process works. The 2 pounds are not factored in???? Yes, actually they are. You do not certify to wrestle a weight class, you certify for a minimum weight you can wrestle. The process goes you first pass a hydration test to make sure you did not wreck your body for certification. Then, you get pinched and they plug the numbers into a formula to determine what your weight would be at the permissible percent body fat level (cannot recall the exact number). Whatever that weight is, is the minimum weight you are allowed to wrestle. For example, if all the numbers get plugged in and your certification weight is 147, you will not be allowed to wrestle 145 before Christmas. But after Christmas, when the weight class becomes 147, they can begin weighing in there. You are not permitted ot weigh in below whatever your minimum weight allowance is, and if you do you are treated as having weighed in at your minimum weight.

January 1st certification?? So the kids should have two months to kill themselves and already completed in almost half of their meets before we determine what they are allowed to wrestle??? No, that's asinine. The first tournaments happen Thanksgiving weekend, and you need to determine the minimum weight before that.

If you're going to keep trolling the message board, at least be informed on what you are talking about. You just sound ignorant, as opposed to over opinionated and absurdly biased like usual.

LImarty
WHOA !!!

.....THE fact remains the same. CUTTING/ SUCKING weight isnt my question. Is it safe or unsafe to wrestle one weight class below your Certified weight ????

Please, know that I think weight certifications are one of the best things that this sport has adopted - yet, do not sell me on "safety". A kid comes into a wrestling room most times without breaking a sweat- missing a meal - or a beverage.....and he gets hosed by one guy yet, if he was somewhere else - he might get a better result. This isnt about CUTTING/SUCKING weight.

quickpick
The answer Marty is yes, one weight class below the certified 7% body fat is unsafe. These are high school, pubescent boys and that body fat is essential at that age for most boys. Losing too much body fat can stunt growth and affect their development. College allows 5% body fat because most of the wrestlers at that level are at the tail end of puberty. Its not that anyone would necessarily starve, there is a bigger picture in mind.

quickpick
The answer Marty is yes, one weight class below the certified 7% body fat is unsafe. These are high school, pubescent boys and that body fat is essential at that age for most boys. Losing too much body fat can stunt growth and affect their development. College allows 5% body fat because most of the wrestlers at that level are at the tail end of puberty. Its not that anyone would necessarily starve, there is a bigger picture in mind.
Page 1 of 1