Being a team member View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Being a team member

Caelknows
I am a traditionalist who observed so many positive things today at the cancer duals at Fairport. One of those was a matchup between potentially the #1 and 2 ranked pound for pound upper weights in the area between Frankie and Chris barker. I also saw max kropman and Alex Sampson do battle until max unfortunately suffered a potentially serious lower leg injury. The one thing I left stewing about was the way one particular team participating seemed to allow their wrestlers to wander the crowd following their own bouts. Is this something new to the dual scene? One of the kids on this particular team seemed to sit with pops the rest of the dual, finally joining his team for the handshake as the team lost in the final. Pops seemed to be micro managing his lad through his match then wanted to have him near him afterwards. Not sure why this bothered me but wondered if it's just the way things are these days?

johnnyrooster
I agree 100%. It's been one of my pet peeves for years. I see it at the JV and Modified level more than V. Blame? Both Parents and Coaches. Take it a step further. How about the the parents and teammates that leave an individual tournament before their teammates are done for the night?

Crotalus
What was score Frankie VS Barker

Livinginthepast
3-1, Frankie. Really good match. It was nice to see 2 great wrestlers get after it. Helicopter parents are ruling the wrestling world: get used to it!

Oldskool
Caelknows wrote:
I am a traditionalist who observed so many positive things today at the cancer duals at Fairport. One of those was a matchup between potentially the #1 and 2 ranked pound for pound upper weights in the area between Frankie and Chris barker. I also saw max kropman and Alex Sampson do battle until max unfortunately suffered a potentially serious lower leg injury. The one thing I left stewing about was the way one particular team participating seemed to allow their wrestlers to wander the crowd following their own bouts. Is this something new to the dual scene? One of the kids on this particular team seemed to sit with pops the rest of the dual, finally joining his team for the handshake as the team lost in the final. Pops seemed to be micro managing his lad through his match then wanted to have him near him afterwards. Not sure why this bothered me but wondered if it's just the way things are these days?

I always ask, do basketball players wonder from the bench when they are sitting out? Can parents come up to the bench during a basketball game? Ever see football or basket ball players texting on the sideline or bench? Eating a slice of pizza? Those are my pet peeves.....being a 90's wrestler.

madsb
Livinginthepast wrote:
3-1, Frankie. Really good match. It was nice to see 2 great wrestlers get after it. Helicopter parents are ruling the wrestling world: get used to it!

They are slowly ruling all sports unfortunately. Too many parents think the success of their kid has a direct correlation to how good their parenting is. They also feel because they pump in A LOT of money into the training of their kid they can do what they please. Players (all sports) stay on the bench, parent stay in the stands and away from the bench. Be a fan, it's not about you.

stormdad
Im reading a lot of complaints about the fact that Some parents are "overly involved" in there child's wrestling at events...first let me say that I firmly believe in team work, team participation and team support. I also don't feel children should be running around doing there own thing while their team mates are wrestling. Dicipline is a huge part of this sport and should be maintained at all times on and off the mat. I don't see a problem with a parent that is part of the team. Some actually help the team at practice, at events, off season and so on. Some youth prefer their parents company, guidence and support and assistance. In some cases the "over involved"parent may also know their child's wrestling more than a seasonal coach. Die to the fact that they have participated in his learning not just over the summer but throughout the whole year. Especially if the child has a disability or a social delay they tend to be more dependent on a partents presence. I believe we should look at the source of this complaint is it the child's behavior or some other feeling or dislike aimed at said parent or parents. I would much rather see a youth have a parent heavily involved than absent. But some people need something to complain about so how about focusing on something of substance that can and is hurting the sport like the amount of poor or inexperienced refferees we see this year. Or the poor soring and time personnel? I just can't believe I'm hearing complaints about a parent that is more than just a bench warmer coming out for events but active in the sport beyond attendance. I remember back in my day a parent named Oliveri coming to practice every day to workout with me.nhe wasn't my dad but he gave me attention and knowledge. He helped me become a better wrestlers .. I am thankful for parents continuing to be "over involved" at the end of the day their passing on more than just wrestling their paying back the love. Refocus some of this negativity to something of value please....

Sonny
stormdad wrote:
Im reading a lot of complaints about the fact that Some parents are "overly involved" in there child's wrestling at events...first let me say that I firmly believe in team work, team participation and team support. I also don't feel children should be running around doing there own thing while their team mates are wrestling. Dicipline is a huge part of this sport and should be maintained at all times on and off the mat. I don't see a problem with a parent that is part of the team. Some actually help the team at practice, at events, off season and so on. Some youth prefer their parents company, guidence and support and assistance. In some cases the "over involved"parent may also know their child's wrestling more than a seasonal coach. Die to the fact that they have participated in his learning not just over the summer but throughout the whole year. Especially if the child has a disability or a social delay they tend to be more dependent on a partents presence. I believe we should look at the source of this complaint is it the child's behavior or some other feeling or dislike aimed at said parent or parents. I would much rather see a youth have a parent heavily involved than absent. But some people need something to complain about so how about focusing on something of substance that can and is hurting the sport like the amount of poor or inexperienced refferees we see this year. Or the poor soring and time personnel? I just can't believe I'm hearing complaints about a parent that is more than just a bench warmer coming out for events but active in the sport beyond attendance. I remember back in my day a parent named Oliveri coming to practice every day to workout with me.nhe wasn't my dad but he gave me attention and knowledge. He helped me become a better wrestlers .. I am thankful for parents continuing to be "over involved" at the end of the day their passing on more than just wrestling their paying back the love. Refocus some of this negativity to something of value please....

👍

Caelknows
The coaches are the coaches. Instruct your kid away from the room but the kids should be sitting with the rest of the team no matter what. No agenda here just not ok in my mind. If i'm one of the other kids on the team it's a confusing message. As mentioned wrestling takes more discipline than required in other sports yet I don't see the same behavior in those other sports. Its great to have involved parents who help the whole program. Never a problem there.

Oldskool
Im just talking about parents who overstep their boundaries. If they want to coach, follow the process to be certified, interview, and coach.

Wrestle10
I started a post about this on another forum. Parents sitting on the bench or sitting matside is detrimental to the sport. The parent you are talking about is a rarity, someone who is coming into the room and working with the kids is more than just a regular parent, he has been given permission by the coaches and that is fine. the problem is the parents who sit matside or try to sneak into the wrestling area to sit on the bench. There are always going to be exceptions with medical issues that a youth parent may need to be close, again that's fine. Other than that PARENTS should be in the bleachers watching the wrestling not sitting matside screaming so loud that the coach can't do his job or worse standing next to the opposing team yelling on their side. no other sport would allow parents to sit on the bench or next to the sideline with the coaches. the coaches are coaches let them do their job while the kids are on the mat or in the wrestling room.

stormdad
I agree with the discipline piece And firmly believe that it instills good values in our young wrestlers and old alike. Maybe more parents with the same values should be more involved in the teams activity and bring upon a positive change. as for a parent helping the coaches due to their experience and knowledge of the sport I see no problem with that. But I do see a problem with a parent just running up to the mat screaming half half throw-in a half. LOL because they know nothing else to say. Or overriding a coaches instructions. Some parents and coaches have a relationship where their input is not only welcome but sought. So with that said it's a situational issue are you talking about all parents? One particular parent? Or just the type of parent that is being counterproductive. Just to recap about youth staying on the bench until all of their peers have wrestled is something I firmly believe in and encourage.
Page 1 of 1