NYS dual meet View previous topic | View next topic

Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
NYS dual meet

quickpick
LImarty wrote:
that's how you see it ??? You just should say " thank you"....cause if, I didn't belabor and critique the former 35+ yr system of being unthoughtful....wrestlers such as Devon Brown, Lance Wade, Sean McCabe wouldn't be State Champs...to mention a few. "Wildcards" were sold by a daily poster who traveled throughout the State's many Forums.

The only way of waking up the dead. Long Island Sections should abandon the current format. Economically, this would stir the pot. While many bash the "flatlanders"....they like our dollars.

A Long Island Championship- then two weeks later an Invitational Tourney open to those State Champs/ placers from NJ- PA- and those North of the Tappen Zee...at Hofstra University. What an idea ..!!!! lol.

No one likes your dollars....Long Island and the NYC area has increased taxes, minimum wage, and liberalism across the state. Split the state in two!!!

Falcs96
Ha! Your taxes would go through the roof if that happened!!

bigkidsdad
LImarty wrote:
that's how you see it ??? You just should say " thank you"....cause if, I didn't belabor and critique the former 35+ yr system of being unthoughtful....wrestlers such as Devon Brown, Lance Wade, Sean McCabe wouldn't be State Champs...to mention a few. "Wildcards" were sold by a daily poster who traveled throughout the State's many Forums.

The only way of waking up the dead. Long Island Sections should abandon the current format. Economically, this would stir the pot. While many bash the "flatlanders"....they like our dollars.

A Long Island Championship- then two weeks later an Invitational Tourney open to those State Champs/ placers from NJ- PA- and those North of the Tappen Zee...at Hofstra University. What an idea ..!!!! lol.

No That's not "how I see it", and I do not know why I am saying thank you to you. In a conversation words mean things, and just in this thread you are all over the map.
Point #1, whether you like it or not politics enter everything. D1 and D2 is here to stay, partly because of the way the state deals with upstate in a political manner that makes them feel they are second class citizens, this bleeds over to decisions about sports and a separate state tournament seems fair to those who have more D2 schools, this is not right or wrong just the landscape of the land. PA has multiple divisions as does NJ and you point to them in every other argument on how great they are, this should not destroy a state system, dilute it maybe, but not to the point of the end of the world argument that you espouse. I would like a unified state championship but barking about it daily on threads on wrestling forums doesn't change things. Removing the distaste that upstate folks have about downstate folks by being genuine and unbiased in your thinking might make those that distrust you see your opinion as valid, to date you have done just the opposite. Your LI bias makes your arguments seem filthy. There is a difference between pride in yours, and contempt for others. What you do seems like contempt for others which makes it easy to dismiss what you say and think.
Point #2, on Feb 8th you wrote:
"Until most of you understand (all caps, I guess you think this makes your argument more persuasive), that this is one state. It is not a pizza cut into sections. One state would have best 3-4 from each region in a real (all caps again) state tournament. This would eliminate all the "stupid complexities that require a wildcard and it would benefit stronger sections and not reward weaker ones"
OK, this is an opinion I have no problem with but first some more, on Feb 9th you wrote:
"Simplistic fix remove antiquated section system"
OK again I am seeing a pattern of logic here, you don't like the sectional tournament, maybe.... in that same reply on Feb 9th you explained how it should look:

REGIONAL QUALIFICATION.

North, South, East , West, etc.
qualifiers- TOP - 4 - Go to a ONE DIVISION State Tournament,

NYC + Nassau/ Suffolk (4- reps) East Region

Section 1 + Section 9 + Section 2 (4- reps) South Region

Section 3 + Section 4 + Section 2 (4- reps) Central Region

Section 5 + Section 6 (4- reps) West Region

Section 7 + Section 10 (1- rep) North Region

CHSAA -(1-rep)- Invited

(Section 2- will be divided)

On SEEDING. No wrestler will get seeded by points or amount of wins. Only seeded by PAST State results and/or Region results...and head to heads.

For us Long Islanders- a Long Island Championship + NYC.....then we meet the boyz from above the Tappen Zee.

BTW- The above format is the TRUEST way of finding the BEST in the State- going to ONE State Tourney.

So far so good, but when I asked you how we enter this regional qualification without a point system (it is impossible to have all the kids in such a large swath meet each other), you didn't answer. Also the original argument started with young Mike Bosco who didn't make his way to the states that year, he didn't do well in his county tournament and he took third and didn't have enough points to make the trip to the states, how would this system help him? There were two quality kids from section 8 that year one placed 4th at states, what is to say Mike would have fared better here? Also without a point system the fact that Mike beat 3 section champs that year would not have helped him, and his poor finish at the counties year before would not have helped him either.... Again these are your words married with facts, sorry you aren't allowed your own set of facts especially when you speak of things that I have first hand experience with. By the way you still haven't answered how this large sectional works.... Do we still have a county tournament? Do we go from our leagues right to the regional? How do we handle seeding without all the kids having met, is this the part where you use past state results (fair) what about the large contingent of kids who didn't have state experience how do they get seeded is it a blind seeding from there (I'm betting you would complain if your kid hit the #1 seed and he was good). If you don't see it from your "middle school thinking" I am exposing your blatant bias, yet you are expressing the system needs to have no bias.... Let's continue

Point 3, to date in this thread you have not explained your "problem" and how you will solve it. If your problem is with D1&D2 I am with you, as are many of my upstate friends by the way whom you alienate with your diatribe. Unfortunately it is here to stay. If your problem is with fairness you used a poor example with Mike Bosco, he had his shot, his missed, it is painful and it is hard but it is what it is, what you espoused doesn't seem to fix his problem, at least you have failed to explain to me how it would. If it is that we need to remove sections from our discussion (I am game), but I am unaware of what problem that solves and I am sure it makes more then it fixes but you seem unwilling to discuss how that works other then stating "this is it". Until you have a well thought out response (one that answers questions when you state a fact, like you ask of me and others and we do all the time) I will say goodbye.

Quickpick, don't be baited by his trolling.... Wrestlers are great people, parents are of same caliber no matter where you were born, don't let Marty make you think poorly of us downstate folks, we want what you do the best chances for our kids. Problem is Marty is so wrapped up in that which divides us he can't be part of the human race. He doesn't speak for me or any of the kids and parents who are coming to Albany (I personally know most of them, they are good people), from section XI, or VIII. I wish his screen name didn't embarrass all of us here every time he espouses his dark thought.

And Marty, unlike you I sign my posts instead of hiding behind a screen name when I say something controversial
Rob Araneo

choppy
WOW go on Git

quickpick
Falcs96 wrote:
Ha! Your taxes would go through the roof if that happened!!

Better than paying the taxes we have now and seeing nothing go into the infrastructure or economy "North of the Tappen Zee". BigKid, I don't take Marty's word as speaking for the entire island. I really have no issues with anyone downstate. I just don't think that Marty understands that he is not as needed or as useful as he believes. That being said, this is the most active the forum has been all season so I like having him around.

LImarty
LOL.

LImarty- has been around since the beginning of the 00s. Mr Araneo. My name has been on many Forums. I do not speak for anyone but, myself. Ive seen more wrestling than the MAJORITY of people on these Forums. My brother wrestled for Hofstra in 1961...I was a little Flying Dutchmen.

As far as my posts...LOL....I have always tried to remain OBJECTIVE with a little bias toward the Island. Unlike most my window of opinion lasts for more than the Parents- usually a 4 yr window. Then they are gone with their kid's paper clippings.

I have watched the BEST- some called the BEST- others who think they were the BEST- and for the most part the REST.

BTW...As long as they have the TOP 6 wrestlers in each weight class- then, it only makes sense that a Tournament should have the BEST wrestlers filling those spots on the Podium. Unfortunately, it is only representative of those in Albany....also, it wasn't too long ago that Dylan Ryder and Chris Gomez would not have qualified for this year's State SECTIONAL Tourney. So, think about that for awhile...and then realize that I have a purpose- one, that exposes a poorly adopted acceptance toward EQUALITY...in an unequal Sport that has winners and non winners. In the '70s and '80s it was quite common for former County Champs- some State Champs getting beat in their Section on Long Island the following year. So, they would not qualify for the State Sectional Tournament...lol...was this right ??? Anyone who knows anything- about this sport would have a better way of qualification to the NYS Tourney.

Marty Riccio

bigkidsdad
All of the history aside, the current system albeit flawed is not terrible. I am unaware that you were responsible for the current wildcard system which you say you dislike, but if so then I agree it is decent, not perfect but very decent and I do owe you a debt of thanks, not for my kids, but for all of my friends kids. The point system although flawed is also a necessary evil, so I don't believe we are so far off. Suffolk county D1 when we have had a problem with a number of good wrestlers at a weight qualify as many as three wrestlers a weight class. The D1 and D2 thing will not be solved in my lifetime I fear, but that is another story. Only problem with the current system is kids searching for points. This may be true, but it does force the best of our kids to wrestle more and outside of their comfort zone. I don't see anything wrong with that. I would like to see a downstate tournament (as you propose), it is done in other sports, but it will knock off more quality kids from this region if you choose to do so (maybe representation at states from each region represented by their participants in wrestling, total numbers, might make it fair). Arguments against is the season is long enough, and another week added will make the grind that much more difficult. All in all you are far more interesting an individual when you tone down the rhetoric and speak to us not at us, thanks for that. Until we can agree in totality I will take today for what it is, a partial agreement.
Page 8 of 8
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8