Pick the upset(s)- NCAA DI Nationals View previous topic | View next topic

Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Pick the upset(s)- NCAA DI Nationals

duddems
quickpick wrote:
LImarty wrote:
Got eat some crow here. Yianni proved that he has the presence never to be out of a match. No way did I think he would win over Meredeth yet, no way was I gonna be so profound to pick Meredeth with Diakomiholis in the weight.

As far as Piccininni goes....solid 125 lber that is undersized. Suriano the same. Lee is a "stud" wasn't taken down all Tourney.

ESPN's coverage terrible like always. Too much talk- too much emphasis on the Team race. In Kyle Snyder's ball bag all week. Again, too much focus on the #1 and #2 seeds....usually, poor matches to view in the first two rounds. On a glass half full...at least they're covering Wrestling. PS... Can we lose Billy Baldwin.

Suriano did an interview after his match with Lee where he said his body was still growing and he didn't know if he was going to be able to stay at 125. His frame is big, or at least it appears that way on TV. He seems to have broad shoulders and may grow a little bit more. Not sure if he is undersized but he can definitely handle the weight. Lee didn't look overwhelmingly bigger than Suriano in that match though he dominated that match after the first. I agree they hyped the Snyder match too much. While he may be the face of wrestling internationally and to most avid wrestling fans, to the onlookers I don't think I would hype a heavy weight match outside of his finals with Gwiz a couple years ago where two monsters wrestled like 125lbers. His matches with Coon this year have all been low scoring and the action isn't enough to draw many people in and if it does, they may leave disappointed with the lack of action/scoring. As far as Billy Baldwin, ESPN hounds him all weekend and he always seems more interested in the action than the interview. His efforts to reinstate Binghamton wrestling can't be ignored though and I think any celebrity publicity is beneficial.

100% quick!

duddems
bigkidsdad wrote:
Agree with the two of you (firemenj, and subway), ESPN great job. I watched an hour after my kids because I was at a birthday party and got home late. I watched the DVR'd version in my bedroom with my wife and we were yelling, screaming, cheering, and clapping out loud for almost every match. ESPN brought a level of credibility to the NCAA tournament that a Flo, or Track wrestling could never do. I was an hour behind so I wasn't taking phone calls but when I finally caught up friends of mine who are not wrestlers were interested and were calling me with questions, that in and of itself was intriguing to me. I hope ratings were up. I do think the finals were the best I've seen (I know that comment will provoke a certain someone to have their selective memory sparked and tell me how I'm wrong). Thoroughly enjoyed this one, hope you all did too.

Proof espn did a good job. I agree that they need to, and did a good job of dumbing it down to appear to nonexperts. The team race abd yanni helped. Overall i was happy to see multiple sessions covered.

ringworm2000
duddems wrote:
LImarty wrote:
Got eat some crow here. Yianni proved that he has the presence never to be out of a match. No way did I think he would win over Meredeth yet, no way was I gonna be so profound to pick Meredeth with Diakomiholis in the weight.

As far as Piccininni goes....solid 125 lber that is undersized. Suriano the same. Lee is a "stud" wasn't taken down all Tourney.

ESPN's coverage terrible like always. Too much talk- too much emphasis on the Team race. In Kyle Snyder's ball bag all week. Again, too much focus on the #1 and #2 seeds....usually, poor matches to view in the first two rounds. On a glass half full...at least they're covering Wrestling. PS... Can we lose Billy Baldwin.

Good post Marty. And Yanni did the qtrs on w a badly injured knee. Thank god he has offseason to heal. Billy Baldwin could use a sobering up, but i dont mind him. 141 was one of the toughest weight classes in memory, and yanni ran the tabke hurt with 3 toughtough wins in a row w late 3rd oeriod "must have" production. He never stops impressing me. Spencer Lee looked dominant, even w his prosthetic superleg.

Hey Duddmes....did you watch the NCAA's? Big story line was it was the first time all year Spencer Lee did not wear his oversized leg brace. It was quite obvious if you watched.

Is Yanni really hurt.....I know he tweaked his knee...but he appeared Ok in the 2 matches after that...do you know something we don't. I sure hope he is OK and can compete in Freestyle this year....I think he has one more year of Junior eligibility.

duddems
bigkidsdad wrote:
Team race goes to a discussion on using the dual meet to bolster wrestling. Whether you like it or not the team race is "easy to sell", and digestible by non wrestling fans. Most of us knew it was Penn State on day one w/o divine intervention. ESPN did a great job selling wrestling to non wrestlers, period, end of topic, finito. Just ask anyone who doesn't frequent this and other wrestling forums. We need more people in seats, and while ESPN may not have wrestling in their hearts if they can make money at it and promote it because they don't have college basketball then I'm ok with that. More butts in chairs means more wrestlers on mats in future, period. Enjoy the national coverage while it lasts and stop complaining.

It shouldve been a no brainer for PSU...but after first couple rds it looked like Ohio St until they craoped em in the qtrs/semis. The PSU guys wrestle fear free...they look to dominate by scoring pts at alltimes...its refreshing. Plus lets call a soade a spade...they got horses, studs galore. They will be on top for another year and some other teams have to go nuts trying to knock them off. The Nolf injury made it interesting but he still beasted. They didnt bat an eye when Suriano left...cuz they know they r that far ahead if the pack.

duddems
Imagine if they had bonified lightweights! They gave up the first two matches all year and still crapped on everyone.

Falcs96
Lol, not a single wrestling fan who was in that building or watching on TV was doing it because of Billy Baldwin's Hollywood stamp of approval! Except maybe the Baldwin kids.
Page 7 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7