State Tournament Pools View previous topic | View next topic

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
State Tournament Pools

BJB7
Agree Massapequa should win this they are solid 1-15.

Falcs96
Correction......they graduated a few of their upper weight kids, but they were only football players who were not getting them any points on the mat......as you can see.

Their entire core of top wrestlers returned, except for Anthony Scioto and Ryan Callahan.

The point is, you cannot be sure they arent top 6. They had 2 losses all season.......Massapequa and Sachem East. They had a grueling dual schedule.

BJB7
Was SE a surprise team to win it? I thought it was going to be RP, ESM or Hauppauge coming out of 11.

Falcs96
They are all excellent teams. That's why 11 should get a WC.

At the beginning of the season they would have been considered a surprise team to win it, but since they beat Wantagh, Long Beach, and Uniondale at a dual tournament like 3 weeks ago, it didnt surprise anyone.

They were kind of like a team lying in the weeds all season listening to everyone else being hyped. People knew they were good, but didnt know how good.

Falcs96
......and can somebody explain to me how Minnisink Valley, last year's State Finalist, can destroy everyone this season going 23-0, and find themselves as the #8 seed? How in the world did 7 teams jump ahead of them??

In the last 2 seasons, they have a record of 50-1.

jessefeffer
Falcs96 wrote:
......and can somebody explain to me how Minnisink Valley, last year's State Finalist, can destroy everyone this season going 23-0, and find themselves as the #8 seed? How in the world did 7 teams jump ahead of them??

Explanation is that they have a system in which the metrics are incompletely irrelevant rendering the seeds pretty much useless. Might as well pick the teams for each pool from a hat. The seeds at Albany are only marginally better. I could devise a system which reflects a team's strength at all 15 weight classes, uses mostly this year's results and still removes the threat of political hanky panky with the selections and seeding. I will run some models and share the results and see how it handicaps the field for both DI and DII.

mikef272002
jessefeffer wrote:
Falcs96 wrote:

Explanation is that they have a system in which the metrics are incompletely irrelevant rendering the seeds pretty much useless. Might as well pick the teams for each pool from a hat. The seeds at Albany are only marginally better. I could devise a system which reflects a team's strength at all 15 weight classes, uses mostly this year's results and still removes the threat of political hanky panky with the selections and seeding. I will run some models and share the results and see how it handicaps the field for both DI and DII.

Exactly.. How is falconer the #1 ranked team in the state, yet unseeded at the state tournament? I love the fact that they are doing a state tournament, but they need to figure a better system. Good luck to all team this weekend!

ksl66
mikef272002 wrote:
jessefeffer wrote:
Falcs96 wrote:

Exactly.. How is falconer the #1 ranked team in the state, yet unseeded at the state tournament? I love the fact that they are doing a state tournament, but they need to figure a better system. Good luck to all team this weekend!

Cause rankings are based on nothing concrete or substantive... seeding is based on an established criteria. Like the criteria or not, that’s what the state uses.

dbates35
mikef272002 wrote:
jessefeffer wrote:
Falcs96 wrote:

Ranking: you're going off of NYWN ranking which you should prob stop doing and go back to NYSSWA ranking.

ksl66
Nywn and Nysswa are both way off base and routinely rank teams based on reputations

tampacuse
Both ranking have Shen in the top five and the haven't even wrestled 10 dual. They were in the top 5 when they were 3-0 and alot of other teams were 18-0 or 17-1. Not sure how any of those people do there rankings.

Falcs96
They think Stevo wrestles in every weight class.

mikef272002
dbates35 wrote:
mikef272002 wrote:
jessefeffer wrote:
Falcs96 wrote:

Ranking: you're going off of NYWN ranking which you should prob stop doing and go back to NYSSWA ranking.

I understand the rankings are only a guess, but to be ranked #1 in the state and not even seeded in the top 8 at the state tournament? I'm not complaining, just saying, something is way off here. Anyway, good luck to all teams in section 6 and all section 6 wrestlers! Hopefully section 6 D1 and D2 can come out with good finishes.

Falcs96
Yep, that's been established. A 50-1 team is seeded #8.
A bunch of men left a room satisfied with that.

jessefeffer
Here are my rankings of the DI field. Call it apparent strength of roster--ASOR. That's putting a body into each wt class and converting their Rankwrestlers' assigned rating to a score from -6 to +6 and finding the total. These scores are theoretically verses a 50 rated wrestler which would be baseline zero. If they seeded this way coaches would have to submit a theoretical roster with one name in each weight class. They would have to be eligible as of 1/20 and they would have had to have wrestled at the assigned weight at least once this year. They of course would wrestle on 1/27 at whatever their weigh in allows. See it can be done. Fire away.

1. (59) Massapequa
2. (57) Minisink Valley
3. (57) Hilton
4. (48) Fulton
5. (45) Spencerport
6. (43) Sachem East
7. (32) Niagara Wheatfield
8. (30) Fox Lane
9. (29) Shenendehowa
10.(16) Olean
11.(12) Horseheads
12.( 8) Chenango Forks