Dapper Dan - WPIAL vs NYS All- stars View previous topic | View next topic

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Dapper Dan - WPIAL vs NYS All- stars

LImarty
rooster. Go read my post again...you illiterate living abortion

johnnyrooster
I’m actually pro-life. As were my parents. So there are no abortion attempts in my family history. You must be thinking of some else.... maybe one of your cousins?

Last edited by johnnyrooster on Mar 10, 2019; edited 1 time in total

LImarty
Even this you screw up....LIVING ABORTION. ..is pro-life in an ugly way

gees. please, find another hobby than to follow my posts.

LImarty
WPIAL TEAM named on FLO. Should be a good test for both teams.

"CHANGE MY MIND NEW YORK " !!!!!!

LImarty
I have a question. One that has not satisfied my curiosity for some time. One I never asked without knowing for sure.

When an All Star match such as this is announced . How do the chosen wrestlers get to Pittsburgh, PA ??? Especially, when the wrestlers can be separated by hundreds of miles with-in their state. Who pays for their lodging -food . What day do they get there ??? Pittsburgh, PA is 7 hrs away from New York City.

If, you know all the particulars - much appreciated. Thanks

jessefeffer
LImarty wrote:
I have a question. One that has not satisfied my curiosity for some time. One I never asked without knowing for sure.

When an All Star match such as this is announced . How do the chosen wrestlers get to Pittsburgh, PA ??? Especially, when the wrestlers can be separated by hundreds of miles with-in their state. Who pays for their lodging -food . What day do they get there ??? Pittsburgh, PA is 7 hrs away from New York City.

If, you know all the particulars - much appreciated. Thanks

Good question. Obviously the USA All Stars have to fly in. Some of the NY guys are a quicker drive, LI not so much. I would think they get a travel stipend based on which dual they are in and from where they are traveling. This should include at least one chaperone/parent or guardian and some meal allowances. Tickets are not cheap and they should have a decent budget for these things. But, like Marty, I would be very interested in the particulars. By the way, no NY wrestlers on the USA team.

LImarty
Jess,

I believe Zack Lawrence /Duanesburg is scheduled to wrestle in both at 152/160.

Couple of others like Mosher - will be wrestling against New Jersey- In the Pinning Down Autisim yearly benefit. (BTW- The All Star match that LImarty started yet, never got any recognition) . Good cause and I have thick skin.

SIDE NOTE- This past week- former W. Babylon HS/ Suffolk Co and Hofstra U wrestler Alton Lucas died without description earlier this week- rumor has it as being heroin OD. Alton was as gifted on his feet- as anyone Ive seen in the past 30 yrs- I remember his match with Chris Hand from Section IV. Hand just dismissed Lucas to much of our amazement. Shame that scholarship athletes can disappear . Alumni-/ Coaches sometimes forget their recruits. This is an example of how former athletes sometimes just fall between the cracks when the game is all over. RIP Alton...now, he is with his HS friend Jovan Belcher.

jessefeffer
LImarty wrote:
Jess,

Couple of others like Mosher - will be wrestling against New Jersey- In the Pinning Down Autisim yearly benefit. (BTW- The All Star match that LImarty started yet, never got any recognition) . Good cause and I have thick skin.

SIDE NOTE- This past week- former W. Babylon HS/ Suffolk Co and Hofstra U wrestler Alton Lucas died without description earlier this week- rumor has it as being heroin OD. Alton was as gifted on his feet- as anyone Ive seen in the past 30 yrs- I remember his match with Chris Hand from Section IV. Hand just dismissed Lucas to much of our amazement. Shame that scholarship athletes can disappear . Alumni-/ Coaches sometimes forget their recruits. This is an example of how former athletes sometimes just fall between the cracks when the game is all over. RIP Alton...now, he is with his HS friend Jovan Belcher.

I thought that was some sort of clerical error, a copy/paste edit mishap. I saw one list where there were no NY wrestlers for USA.

jessefeffer
jessefeffer wrote:
LImarty wrote:
Jess,

I thought that was some sort of clerical error, a copy/paste edit mishap. I saw one list where there were no NY wrestlers for USA.

Here we go. Man I love the internet.

160: Zach Lawrence (USA) vs. Dan Mancini (Owen J Roberts)

Originally Ohio’s Connor Brady was slated to compete at 160; however, he has pulled out and was replaced by New York state champ, Zach Lawrence of Duanesburg. Lawrence was initially slated to compete in the preliminary match but was bumped up after Brady’s withdrawal. Mancini had a breakout AA performance in Fargo this summer and carried that momentum over to the high school season. The future Virginia Tech Hokie used a dominant 10-2 showing in the state finals to win his first title against Kiksi Area’s Cam Connor.

jessefeffer
NY wins 25-18. A majority of the matches were really tight, NY went 8 and 5, winning the last 3. Format was 2 2:30 periods starting neutral each time.

LImarty
New York wrestlers did a nice job....and PA's best who vs the USA Team ....imo marginally, better than NYS 's top- in certain weights.

BUT, this year New Jersey in my opinion - was deep and was very good....better than both NY and PA.

mbsuxx
LImarty wrote:
Jess,

Sad news, Marty ……… reminds me of Brentwood's Dave Larrache dying shortly after he won a State Championship.

LImarty
mbsuxx,

Here are my feelings about College Athletics/ NCAA and the Institutions /Admins.

High School athletes are vulnerable to those who might mean well - in the beginning of recruitment yet, most disappear at the end of 4- 5 yrs later. Hofstra as the example here is very, very expensive. I would assume when Tom Ryan recruited Alton Lucas...financial aid and scholarship money allowed him a College Education/ Room and Board/ and the ability to earn a College diploma. After College was there employment opportunities ? Is there any financial savings??- or is it the same kid who maybe, didnt belong in College just 5 yrs later???

Here is where I get upset by the whole process .

Not every kid is College material- not every kid can achieve a College degree especially, in a DI Institution. Is the College Coach worrying about this. ?? Is the Alumni furnishing them opportunities after school. ?? Many Coaches/ Alumni watch out for their own. I know Cornell does. Unfortunately,. I think many do not.

Ultimately, Alton Lucas was his own responsibility- yet, in my soul there is a failure here. More than just a death of a young man. I am more inclined to believe that DI Institutions with HUGE budgets should compensate scholarship athletes after five years at the institution. Job placement after receiving a degree and/or a financial stipend when the athlete drops out - pro rated by the years of service along with social services- work search and medical until the former student has shown a desire to become employed- also, mandatory drug tests. THEN, and ONLY THEN will I be satisfied that - the 17/18 yr old HS athlete is secure when he signs that letter of intent. This is the only way I will accept that the Institution did all which they were able to do.

Now, this might not have saved Alton Lucas. Probably not....but, maybe this will help people see that changes in SCHOLARSHIP REWARDs should possibly become more progressive and Institutions should have a longer responsibility toward the athlete or at least a financial reward - after school.

Wrestle10
I'm pretty sure these students are getting financially compensated. It's called going to college for free because they can play a sport!!!! Take responsibility for yourself.

LImarty
not so fast....Trying to give someone a paid education when that someone hasn't been an accomplished student his whole life.....Is actually a "fraud". My opinion says, that you have to be financially compensated by the Univ. whenever the NCAA term is over. The schools benefit while the athlete...is no longer in their plans. Some , on the streets shooting heroin.

Job Placement, Financial savings and Medical should be a requirement of the Institution providing the scholarship...minimally 5 yrs- and/or to the age of 26 ys. after NCAA req.

College entrance exams- are different at all DI Institutions. Administrations that have TV Contracts- look past the athlete's failure in the classroom. Go find out how many NBA/ PRO Football players never earned a degree....and then think about the others who never made it to the professional ranks. Where are they ?? I believe the % for four yr degrees in TOP DI Programs is low.
Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next