141 lbs McKenna vs Diakomaholis. Fri. Feb. 22 View previous topic | View next topic

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
141 lbs McKenna vs Diakomaholis. Fri. Feb. 22

legattack
He is even better at freestyle then you will see him racking up points

Dragtrip
I think everyone, I'm sure Yianni included, has set the bar extremely high...and for obvious reasons.

However think about what we just witnessed...Yianni arguably wasn't as sharp as normal, didn't wrestle to his potential, coming back from injury etc. etc. etc. but still won his 2nd NCAA D1 title...oh ya, and not to mention in his 2nd trip.

Uh I'm thinking that's pretty friggin' impressive!!

Raider92
Dragtrip wrote:
I think everyone, I'm sure Yianni included, has set the bar extremely high...and for obvious reasons.

However think about what we just witnessed...Yianni arguably wasn't as sharp as normal, didn't wrestle to his potential, coming back from injury etc. etc. etc. but still won his 2nd NCAA D1 title...oh ya, and not to mention in his 2nd trip.

Thank you. Oh and also Yanni as the first seed ended up wrestling guys who ended up being All Americans in the 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round and 5th round. He went through four guys who were on the podium with him. Kind of also explains the close matches.....the guys he wrestled were really freaking good.

faceinthemat
Raider92 wrote:
Dragtrip wrote:

Thank you. Oh and also Yanni as the first seed ended up wrestling guys who ended up being All Americans in the 2nd round, 3rd round, 4th round and 5th round. He went through four guys who were on the podium with him. Kind of also explains the close matches.....the guys he wrestled were really freaking good.

exactly! expecting him to pin or tech AA's is ridiculous...those are really good wrestlers

faceinthemat
quickpick wrote:
chickenwing wrote:
Yianni actually performed better at the 2018 NCAAs against better competition and with a torn ACL. Makes you wonder if he's plateaued? I'd say go up a weight & get stronger, but his Olympic weight is 65kg (143.3).

W 10-5
W 7-3
W 5-1
W 6-5
W 6-4 sv

W 10-1
W 13-4
W 6-5
W 6-4 sv
W 7-4

The coaching staff held Yianni out in the beginning of the year and eased him in from his knee injury. He didn’t face a tough schedule until the second half of the year. I think a lot of it was him coming back from injury and not pushing more than necessary. After he tore it last year, he had nothing to lose. He could open up a lot more in his matches. I would expect him to be much better next year, fully recovered from his injury. 141 or 149 he is incredibly difficult to score on and his counters are second to none right now. He has not plateaued, I think he only gets better.

100% agree

ringworm2000
LImarty wrote:
Just a general overview of Vito and Yianni....lol..an AA and a 2X NCAA Champ

Vito looked stressed at 125 lbs- won matches on desire. Koll better forget weight with him...let him wrestle 133/ 141 next few years. IMO Vito's ultimate success will come in International style.

Yianni better get more physical at 149 lbs....either way cutting to 141 or moving up to 149. The question I have can he keep winning "ugly" to me ?? To me he won four matches this past weekend and never looked "good" doing it. YES, he won.

Im just in awe with New Jersey.

HEY MARTY IS YANNI STILL WINNING UGLY...STILL NOT PHYSICAL ENOUGH. JUST BEAT MOLINARO, JO AND ZAIN TO WIN THE US OPEN. CAN YOU GIVE ME MORE INSIGHT ON WHY HE IS NOT AS GOOD AS OTHERS? HE JUST KEEPS WINNING TITLE AFTER TITLE. NEXT UP BAJRAND PUNIA, HE IS JUST AND WORLD BRONZE AND SILVER MEDAL WINNER.

LImarty
ringding,

Yianni WINs period !! There is nothing to critique . His victims ALL have had successes.

now, you can get back under your rock.

ringworm2000
I am aware Marty and it is nice to see you give him his due. You have said under multiple posts and that Mckenna is better than Yanni, that Yanni is not Section V best ever. You have questioned his toughness ect ect.

Yanni will be a multiple time World/Olympic Medalist or greater. Now you please go under a rock and never come back.

LImarty
NEVER said " better"....I thought he would give Yianni fits and beat him.....I was wrong.

faceinthemat
IMO Yanni will be the best wrestler the world has ever seen when it's all said and done baring major injury. Those are big words but he IS that good and seemingly getting better and gaining confidence with every challenge. He's the man!

mbsuxx
faceinthemat wrote:
IMO Yanni will be the best wrestler the world has ever seen when it's all said and done baring major injury. Those are big words but he IS that good and seemingly getting better and gaining confidence with every challenge. He's the man!

Looks like Yianni's on that track!
Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5