UB lineup View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
UB lineup

Heisenberg
Anybody have a potential lineup for UB wrestling this year?

ksl66
Best guess:

Cheek
Spann
Robinson
Meloni
Grover
Keller
Lanning
Accairdi
Schuyler
Terrance

Heisenberg
Thanks. I haven’t seen their roster posted online yet.

ksl66
Check out wrestlestat, they aren’t official rosters, but they give ya good idea of who is where

Crossface212
This is going to be a really interesting year for UB with a lot of new faces after graduating 6 seniors (5 NQs) that were mainstays of the line up for 3+ years. All of their assistant coaches are new from last year as well. Given how many 1st time starters there will be in the line-up you almost have to expect the team to take a step back from the great year they had last year where they finishing 2nd in the MAC behind Mizzu and qualified 6 wrestlers for the national tournament. The only returning starters from last year that I think are shoo-ins to start this year are Spann (133) and Keller (165) who are bonus point machines that are nationally ranked to start the year. Jake Lanning (174) is very likely to start again as well but he did lose in a dual meet last year to incoming transfer from Clarion, Taylor Cahill. They look to have a pretty large and strong class of incoming freshman from all over the country that should shape the line-up in the coming years although most if not all will RS this year. Since their roster hasn't been updated yet I can't tell who is actually here but just for fun here are my totally speculative thoughts on the 2019-2020 line up:

125: Starter - Meloni (Jr) or Viloria (Jr) (JCC transfer from Cali). Both guys are Jrs but probably won't be more than 1-yr starters as the future at this weight is likely going to be incoming freshman Brad Cheek or Jordan Reyes (3x State Champ from Oregon). If Cheek doesn't RS then he could start this year; Reyes wrestled 106 as a Sr. so he is going to need to grow.

133: Starter - Spann (RSJR), should be a MAC finalist and national qualifier.

141: Starter - Robinson (RSFR), one of the top recruits from 2-yrs ago coming off his RS year. 4-yr Kansas State Champ. Will have to hold off former NY State Champ, John Arceri for (Sr) the spot this year. If Nick Casella is still on the team (not sure if he is) he would be in the mix to start too. 2x Illinois State Champ Riley Palm is an incoming recruit that will probably RS but should push for a starting spot next year. Despite the fact that he was a multiple time state champ from one of the best wrestling states it doesn't look like Palm wrestled a lot out of state or out of season so we'll have to see how he stacks up against Robinson.

149: Starter - Meloni (Sr) or Todrank (Sr). Either of these guys would likely have a limited impact for the team this season; however, this weight class is absolutely stacked with stud incoming freshman that might be able to take the starting job if they don't redshirt. The new freshman in this weight class include Hunter Shaut (2x NYS D2 Champ; 3x finalist), Warren McDougald (NYS D-1 runner up; 3x place finisher), Ty Raines (NYS D-1 3rd place; 2x place finisher), Chase Runfola (NYS D-2 runner up behind Shaut), and Leo Mushinsky (ILL D-2 runner up). Five pretty solid guys that are going to have to fight one another for a spot in the line up. Curious to see if one of them goes right out of the gate and challenges for a starting spot (likely Shaut).

157: Starter - Grover (Jr) or Petite (RSFR). Grover has been in and out of the line up at various weights since his true freshman year but hasn't won alot so far. He'd be dropping down a weight from last year. Petite is coming off of a decent RS year so we'll see what he can do. Pretty good HS wrestler out of NJ. Some of the incoming freshman listed at 149 will likely make their way up to this weight in the next year or two. Mushinsky in particular looks like he is still growing.

165: Starter - Keller (Sr): next topic. Dillon Ross had a pretty good RS year last year and could be waiting in the wings after Troy graduates.

174: Starter - Lanning (RSSO) or Cahill (RSSR). Lanning took a lot of losses last year as a RSFR, including one to Cahill, but he was a pretty good recruit out of HS (Ill State Champ) that seemed to putting it together later in the season and that has 3 -yrs of eligibility left vs. 1 for Cahill. Incoming freshman Bryson Alsteen from Wisc will be a factor in the future. He placed 3rd or 4th at states in an extremely strong weight class with multiple guys going D1 in college. He looks extremely strong and had some good FS and GR showings in the offseason so look keep an eye out for him.

184: Starter - Pete Acciardi (RSFR) should own this weight class coming off of an excellent RS year and freestyle season. Logan Rill was the starter last year and still has eligibility left but Acciardi should supplant him.

197: Starter - Sam Schuyler (RSSO). Even though we are losing a great wrestler at this weight in Brett Perry we shouldn't be taking much of a step back if any with Schuyler who did very well last year when his number was called and won the US Open this year in Jrs this year. While it will be difficult given the expanded conference I don't think its crazy to think that Sam will compete for the MAC title this year and find his way into the national rankings. As interesting as it is to see how Schuyler will do this year as a full time starter it is just as interesting to see how their 2 stud recruits at this weightclass will stack up against one another. They are bringing in Wisc State Champ and Fargo All-American Sam Mitchell and NYS D1 State Champ (at 220 dropping to 197) Will Leonard. I watched Mitchell wrestle at Fargo on Flo and he is really talented..in fact he beat Santos Cantu, who just won Super 32 last week, on the backside of the bracket after losing to him on the front side. Will Leonard is a badass who won states and eastern state and who will be coming down from a higher weight. Both Mitchell and Leonard should RS this year but things could get interesting next year.

HW: Starter - Toughest Call...looks like there are 4 guys that could start. Nolan Terrance (RSSR) was named as a team Captain but he has never starter after sitting behind Jake Gunning for several years. WrestleStat has Laith Alsous, the LewPort native and former NYS State Champ who is transferring from Campbell, listed as the starter. Toby Cahill (JR), who I believe was a PA State Champ is transferring in from Clarion. Lastly but maybe the most intriguing of all is Nate Rose returning to the program after a 2 yr hiatus. Nate was really promising as a young 197 lber a few years back and then he fell off the roster so I'm glad to see him back on the team and in school. I honestly have no idea what to expect here.

I have no inside information at all so I'm sure some of the details above regarding who is redshirting and who isn't will be off. If anyone knows any different please correct me. I love the program but there isn't much media coverage so hopefully we can get a good discussion going on here for the season.

Heisenberg
Great breakdown of UBs potential lineup! Thanks Crossface