UFC 88: BREAKTHROUGH View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
UFC 88: BREAKTHROUGH

matburn
Site Admin
UFC 88 (9/6/2008) has several fighters with strong wrestling backgrounds competing tomorrow night in Atlanta:

* Light Heavyweight Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell (San Luis Obispo, CA) was a Division I wrestler at California Polytechnic State University.

* Light Heavyweight Rashad Evans (Albuquerque, NM) was a two-time All-State wrestler at Niagara-Wheatfield High School in Sanborn, NY. He went on to become a NJCAA champion at Niagara County Community College. He then transferred to Michigan State University where he started form three years at 174 pounds and amassed a 48-34 record.

* Light Heavyweight Matt "The Hammer" Hamill (Utica, NY) was a 3-time NCAA Division III National Champion in wrestling (167 lb. class in 1997, 190 lb. class in 1998, and 197 lb. class in 1999) while attending the Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) in Rochester, NY. He also has a silver medal in Greco-Roman wrestling and a gold medal in freestyle wrestling from the 2001 Summer Deaflympics.

* Middeweight Dan Henderson (Temecula, CA) twice earned medals at the California State Wrestling Chamionships. He went on to wrestle at Cal State Fullerton and Arizona State University, participating in the 1993 NCAA championships. After completing his collegiate eligibility, he moved to the international circuit, competing for the United States in the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics in Greco-Roman wrestling.

* Lightweight Kurt Pellegrino (Jupiter, FL) wrestled for Point Pleasant High School and and was a 2 time New Jersey wrestling state finalist.

* Light Heavyweight Tim Boetsch (Lincolnville, ME) is a four-time Camden-Rockport High School State Champion from Camden, ME. He also wrestled at Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania.

* Fighters Nathan Marquardt (Denver, CO), Martin Kampmann (Las Vegas, NV), Matt Brown (Xenia, OH), and Jason Lambert (Victorville, CA) also come from wrestling backgrounds.

UFC 88: BREAKTHROUGH
@ Philips Arena (Atlanta, GA)
September 6, 2008 7pm PT / 10pm ET

7:15pm ET Doors Open at the Philips Arena
8:00pm ET First Bout
10:00pm ET Main Card Begins
Saturday, September 6, live on Pay-Per-View from Atlanta, GA.

Main Card

* Light Heavyweight Bout: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans
* Light Heavyweight Bout: Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill
* Middeweight Bout: Dan Henderson vs. Rousimar Palhares
* Middleweight Bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Martin Kampmann
* Welterweight Bout: Matt Brown vs. Dong Hyun Kim

Preliminary Card

* Lightweight Bout: Thiago Tavares vs. Kurt Pellegrino
* Middleweight Bout: Jason MacDonald vs. Jason Lambert
* Light Heavyweight Bout: Tim Boetsch vs. Mike Patt
* Welterweight Bout: Roan Carneiro vs. Ryo Chonan

matburn
Site Admin

UFC 88: Chuck Liddell vs. Rashad Evans Indepth Preview

Last edited by matburn on Sep 5, 2008; edited 1 time in total

matburn
Site Admin

UFC 88: Rich Franklin vs. Matt Hamill Indepth Preview

fight11
Liddell def. Evans, Franklin def. Hamill, Handerson def. Palhares, Marquardt def. Kampmann, and Kim def. Brown. Just my guess.

Billings119
Rashad Evans! that was insane.

Mollnow189
no offense to Chuck but i think his career is pretty much over now losing three straight fights to Rampage, Keith Jardine, and now Rashad Evans

Billings119
yeah hes too old
everyone better watch out at 205, here comes rashad evans.

jukeboxhero
I thought Chuck was dead. For real. It however didn't keep me from screaming, "I TOLD YOU F!@#$&S!!!! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! IN YOUR FACE!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhh, is he ok?"

the kind one
Just got back from Atlanta late last night. You would not believe the how many mohawk chuck wannabees there was running around HOTLANTA. No one gave Evans a chance. I told the guy no one has been given him a chance since he wrestled in high school. I remember when he beat Adam Ventress at the 96' Spencerport tourny. In my mind, he had no shot. Then they faced off at the Hilton tourney. Again I gave him no shot and he proved me wrong. My brother and I were in the minority routing for Evans. When he knocked him out, we thought chuck was dead. I had never seen such a vicious knockout. The EMT actually brought an oxygen tank in the ring, but didnt use it.

I love Matt Hamil. Even though he lost, he has so much heart. The kid can take tons of punishment to his face, but when that liver kick landed, you knew it was all over.

Great night of fights. Anyone who is into MMA needs to go see an event live. Its a sporting event thats like a rock concert. It didnt hurt to have to chicks right next to us from making out and flashing their headlights for all to see.

Mollnow189 wrote:
no offense to Chuck but i think his career is pretty much over now losing three straight fights to Rampage, Keith Jardine, and now Rashad Evans
What about liddells win over Wanderlei Silva at ufc 79 i think chuck can still fight but i dont think he will win the title again

Mollnow189
i think Matt Hamil is the future of MMA all need to watch for him and some of the other youngins commin along

Billings119
i like the kid that fought dan henderson too, i think hes gonna be good, he was tough.

jukeboxhero
Billings119 wrote:
i like the kid that fought dan henderson too, i think hes gonna be good, he was tough.

Toqihno will be a monster once he gets more experience. He needs to move down to 170 and fight Georges. Would be an awesome fight.

go_for_it
I saw a cool Chuck conditioning workout on Purefight.org where they are using sledge hammers, big tires and medicine balls. Aside from that this site looks really cool, interviews, workouts and gym tours.
Page 1 of 1