Does anyone want to talk Pembroke wrestling? View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Does anyone want to talk Pembroke wrestling?

ssarama
I'm an old-timer from the '80's and would love to catch up with you guys.

afwrestler16
what is your name

ssarama
Scott Sarama... wrestled varsity for PHS 82-87 (5 seasons).

would you happen to know me?

afwrestler16
nope when i comes to wrestling in pembroke the school doesn't give a xxxx they lost all the records so we have to start fresh with those so there is no real wrestling history at pembroke Sad

ssarama
are you kidding me????

do you wrestle there now? are you an alum or a parent?

I have a long history with the wrestling program there. I kept it alive in the 80's when we had as few as 8 wrestlers TOTAL on the team. I had a spring wrestling club to try and start a feeder system.

I even bought them new singlets after I graduated because ours were so pathetic.

The program was in terrible shape when I was there and I have been ecstatic to hear that it seems to have turned around in recent years. I was hoping to catch up on what has been happening.

Last edited by ssarama on Feb 24, 2005; edited 1 time in total

afwrestler16
i just graduated last yr the program is really starting to come around with pembrokes first state champ last yr nick price

finished the season with a 8-2 duel meet record and 3rd in the league and they fft atleast 2-4 weight class's a meet or tourney

ssarama
so the team still has trouble fielding 13 wrestlers? Are you wrestling in college now?

I can give you the 80's history of the team.

In the late 70's, Spencerport's current coach, Tom Jacoutot, coached at Pembroke! Tom is probably one of the greatest HS coaches in the country. Well, politics at PHS led to him being laid off as I went into 7th grade in 1981. He went to Spencerport where he routinely has state champions every year. Mad Mad Mad

The team spiraled downwords from 30+ kids to less than 10. Tom got me interested in 5th grade, but was gone before I got there.

PHS only had 3 wrestlers qualify for Supers the entire decade. Jim Meyers in 1982 (placed 4th at Sectionals), I went 3 times out of 5 years (I was sectional champ my senior year in 1987), and Carl Schroeder in 1989. Carl was a teammate and made it to the semi's at 177 at Super's.

If the Akron Tourney still posts the records of past tourneys - you will see me as a 3x champ (plus a 2nd and a 3rd).

I ended up 19-2-1 my senior year. Ironically, Spencerport had a 126 lb'er named Tom Billone who became state champ that year. It was hard seeing the guy who could have possibly coached me to the state championship - coach Tom to the title. My best shot to at least make the state tournament would have meant me beating the soon-to-be state champ and the guy he beat in the finals of Super's 4-2. My weight class was stacked. Sad

The 80's were filled with coaches who came for a year and left. One year we had a basketball coach for a coach... HAHA. I'm grateful he did it because we wouldn't have had a team that year, but let's just say I didn't get the kind of instruction the Spencerport kids were receiving.

After I graduated, I raised some money and bought the team some new singlets. I don't know if you still wear them or not. They were green with black and white trim and said "Dragons" across the front. No weight class designations. Top of the line stuff, so they should have lasted.

I have thought about starting a end of year scholarship for the top wrestler, but never got around to it.

Messiah of the Mat
ssarama wrote:
so the team still has trouble fielding 13 wrestlers? Are you wrestling in college now?

I can give you the 80's history of the team.

In the late 70's, Spencerport's current coach, Tom Jacoutot, coached at Pembroke! Tom is probably one of the greatest HS coaches in the country. Well, politics at PHS led to him being laid off as I went into 7th grade in 1981. He went to Spencerport where he routinely has state champions every year. Mad Mad Mad

The team spiraled downwords from 30+ kids to less than 10. Tom got me interested in 5th grade, but was gone before I got there.

PHS only had 3 wrestlers qualify for Supers the entire decade. Jim Meyers in 1982 (placed 4th at Sectionals), I went 3 times out of 5 years (I was sectional champ my senior year in 1987), and Carl Schroeder in 1989. Carl was a teammate and made it to the semi's at 177 at Super's.

If the Akron Tourney still posts the records of past tourneys - you will see me as a 3x champ (plus a 2nd and a 3rd).

I ended up 19-2-1 my senior year. Ironically, Spencerport had a 126 lb'er named Tom Billone who became state champ that year. It was hard seeing the guy who could have possibly coached me to the state championship - coach Tom to the title. My best shot to at least make the state tournament would have meant me beating the soon-to-be state champ and the guy he beat in the finals of Super's 4-2. My weight class was stacked. Sad

The 80's were filled with coaches who came for a year and left. One year we had a basketball coach for a coach... HAHA. I'm grateful he did it because we wouldn't have had a team that year, but let's just say I didn't get the kind of instruction the Spencerport kids were receiving.

After I graduated, I raised some money and bought the team some new singlets. I don't know if you still wear them or not. They were green with black and white trim and said "Dragons" across the front. No weight class designations. Top of the line stuff, so they should have lasted.

I have thought about starting a end of year scholarship for the top wrestler, but never got around to it.

HIS NAME IS NOT TOM!!! His name is Bill or William it says on the schools wrestling website check it out http://www.spencerportwrestling.net/coaching.html

-Dan Gable

cranston
Sounds to me you are a great person to have around wrestling. The more support we have for this great sport the better.....

ssarama
Messiah of the Mat wrote:

HIS NAME IS NOT TOM!!! His name is Bill or William it says on the schools wrestling website check it out http://www.spencerportwrestling.net/coaching.html

Sorry... I'm such a dumbass. I knew it was Bill, but I typed Tom. Embarassed

ssarama
now I know why I said ""Tom"... Bill has a brother Tom who wrestled for UB in the late 70's.

ssarama
cranston wrote:
Sounds to me you are a great person to have around wrestling. The more support we have for this great sport the better.....

thanks... I moved away from WNY after I went to UR for school. I was a referee in MD for many years, but then family became a priority.

Every now and then I get the bug and do a little research on what is going in WNY. I have a 4 year old son now and if God shows me any mercy he will have the same love for the sport I have. Couple that with the support that I didn't have and maybe he won't have a lifetime case of the "what if's..." Wink

teamhof
Hey Scott
Do u happen to remember a kid named Klotzbach who wrestled for u guys back in the early 80's. I think he wrestled 98 105 well I see him around and he now looks like he gained 2 people easy 250-270. I also remember Gervaise Gloss Hummel.

ssarama
teamhof wrote:
Hey Scott
Do u happen to remember a kid named Klotzbach who wrestled for u guys back in the early 80's. I think he wrestled 98 105 well I see him around and he now looks like he gained 2 people easy 250-270. I also remember Gervaise Gloss Hummel.

Yes I do! My sister was a cheerleader during those days and used to take me to the matches. Those guys would throw me around (I was 10 years old). Standing room only for those matches. The support was incredible.

If you are referring to John Gloss - he was a teammate of mine in the mid-80's. He was about as psychotic an individual as they come. Smile I still remember his knee-cap getting ripped off and dangling inside his tights. <gag>
Page 1 of 1