Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
LCAA Tournament Predtictions

indianpride01
lets get some predictions going

Mayo08
indianpride01 wrote:
lets get some predictions going

99: Sam Wolf (Warsaw): Wolf has a 4-2 win over Dansville's Masin Schuster from the State Farm Classic. It's not necessarily a run away for Wolf, but he does have a win over who I predict to be his best competition in the bracket. If Schuster can keep his head in the match and his emotions out of it (something I've seen him struggle with) the tournament finals could be really interesting. Noah Royce, entered as an alternate for Warsaw, will probably podium as well. JJ Smith (Way-Co) or Colton Davis (Keshequa) may be the one to round out the top 4.

106: Dylan Walker (Warsaw), Malachy Farrell (Avon), Matt Brothers (Geneseo), Nick Vinci (Livonia). Walker is the head of the class. Farrell has wrestled well this season and should earn himself a top 4 seed. Brothers wrestling down this far should make for an interesting match with Vinci from Livonia, should they meet in semis, with Brothers making finals again this year. Englerth (LeRoy) could be a bit of a wildcard pulling an early round upset. Walker, in the few matches I've gotten to see, didn't look quite as sharp as he did last season, however it was earlier in the year and up a couple weight classes. I expect him to be sharp and leave little doubt as to who's the best in the bracket.

113: Mathew Brothers (Geneseo)?, Connor Wilkins (Livonia), Tyler Racalto (Bath), Josh Grisewood (Warsaw) - Grisewood has a win over Racalto, but it's Wilkins who I expect to take the title here at 113. Grisewood and Wilkins have both wrestled Heberlein this year to pretty much the exact same result, and without seeing them wrestle super-recently, it's tough to predict who's sharper heading into this weekend, but I'm going with my gut on Wilkins. Brothers would throw a wrench in the bracket and round out the top 4 in some sort of order, but I've seen him weighing in at 106. I personally think his best chance is here at 113, but we'll see what happens.

120: Mason Gray (Warsaw), Jon Lauricella (LeRoy) -- Lauricella wins here. Gray has a future, but he's still young. He should be standing up a spot or two higher on the podium this year than last. That said, Lauricella should cruise through this tournament as he sets his sights on a very tough 120lb class coming up in Supers.

126: Mike Galton (Warsaw)... Honestly, I couldn't really find any other names here that stood out to me. Galton, from results, looks like he's wrestled well and improved steadily the last few seasons. He's not the greatest 126 in section V, but he looks like the top man in Livingston county.

132: Christian Hollister (Perry), Noah Grover (Warsaw)... Who else? Hollister should dominate his way to finals. He has one loss on the season to Pal-Mac's Emerson Block, but Block isn't at this tournament, nor is former Pavilion/York wrestler Daylon Swearingen. That match would be fireworks. Instead, Hollister looks to have a match with Noah Grover, who was beaten by his brother Andrew 4-2 in 2OT just recently. It may not be a run away for Hollister, but I think he handles the match up.

138: Colin Royce (Warsaw) should be the one seed. 2 and 3 seeds should be Mason Hamilton (Way-Co) and Andrew Hollister (Perry). Hollister has a tight 4-2 win in OT over Noah Grover (Warsaw) in the dual meet that saw Royce bump to 145 and a 4-0 loss to Royce that I've been told was more like 1-0. Sounds exciting. Royce has a controlling 3-0 victory over Hamilton from earlier this season, as well as that 4-0 win over Hollister. We'll see if Hamilton can work out a way to win this weekend, as I see him earning a tight victory over a younger Hollister in the semis. But due to history, and doing my best to have unbiased predictions, I'm picking Royce as the champ. I'm a firm believer that if anyone wants to beat Colin Royce this year, they're going to have to take him down.

145: Robert Lukaszonas (Gen), Corey Farrell (Warsaw), Adam Green (Dansville)... sorry if I'm overlooking anyone. Regardless, Corey Farrell is the man here. He should handle this bracket with relative ease. Green is young and improving steadily. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a push for finals.

152: Josh Griffith (Warsaw) - 152 is a reasonably deep weight for Section V D2. A lot of solid guys right around that weight... wouldn't say they're necessarily studs like in years past (Think Nevinger, Paddock, Scott, etc), but it's not a terrible bracket if you're looking for hard fought matches that end in one or two point decisions. You just won't see much of that at LCAAs, I don't believe. I honestly don't even know who looks like a good pick to make finals on the other side, and I honestly don't think it matters.

160: Austin Prince (Keshequa), Tanner Butler (Warsaw) - Gut says Prince, and things may fall into place for him finally, but I wouldn't count Butler out if they meet in the finals. I haven't seen Prince wrestle yet this season, so it's tough for me to say where he's at this year. Looking at results from Letchworth's tournament, he's wrestling well, but he's still not quite at the top. That said, I think it'll be enough to win the bracket here.

170: Aaron Paddock (Warsaw), Ryan Blood (Avon)...? Anyone else? Aaron Paddock should win and look good doing it.

182:, Carson Doorley (Hornell), Jake Krammel (Perry)... Krammel has a win over Doorley at the Hornell tournament, by fall. Krammel is my choice here, but I think it's close and could go either way.

195: Dylan Royce (Warsaw)... Maybe I just got lazy, but I honestly don't know who's here that would put up a match with him. Again, I don't feel Royce is the best 195er in D2, but he looks like the best option for an LCAA championship

220: Aaron Mann (Warsaw)... Read '195' except that Mann should be a reasonable contender.

285: Jed Middleton (Keshequa): I couldn't find a lot of results on big guys and a lot of teams don't have one... this may be the thinnest year I've seen for heavies. Haha. Thinnest, heavies, get it? lol Very Happy That said, Jed's grown up into a biiiig boy and he's an aggressive wrestler. Results from the season look good so far and I don't know who else would contend.

Team Champ: Warsaw... #2 should be Perry. 3 is a toss up.
138 is going to produce a MOW. The other bracket may well be 106 or 113.

-- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. --

Bradpaddock
Like it all but 132 and 182.

chucknorriscoverband
ugh. could we really drag out the tourney any longer! Its not the state tourney for god sake! finals were over 4 hours I like that they go above and beyond, but Its a wrestling tournament. Not to mention a weak one at that, wrestling is down in Livingston county. This tournament had depth once , and a ton of it. to be an lcaa champ was huge!

MamaWood
The LCAA tournament and wrestling in Livingston County is actually increasing in popularity...perhaps the wrong schools are being focused on? I was impressed with ALL the athletes yesterday as they showed heart, grit and determination. Especially impressed with the 2nd place team win by Keshequa ~ they may be young and they may be small but they truly wrestle like they mean business.

Last edited by MamaWood on Jan 18, 2015; edited 1 time in total

madsb
chucknorriscoverband wrote:
ugh. could we really drag out the tourney any longer! Its not the state tourney for god sake! finals were over 4 hours I like that they go above and beyond, but Its a wrestling tournament. Not to mention a weak one at that, wrestling is down in Livingston county. This tournament had depth once , and a ton of it. to be an lcaa champ was huge!

What made the finals so long?...no reason for that... that time frame only hurts the sport

armbarandhalf
Keshequa had twins wrestling that were pretty good. I seen one wrestle. what happened to the other one?

Mayo08
Bradpaddock wrote:
Like it all but 132 and 182.

Grover really showed up. Maybe it's because I haven't seen him wrestle much this year, but that match was closer than I had anticipated. I expected a 4-5pt win for Hollister, rather than about 3 minutes of him pretty much running away to keep from getting thrown.

132 is a bracket to watch big time come supers and that finals match made it that much more interesting.

As a side question, does Noah work Greco in the offseason with you guys or Hirsch or is that just his style? I haven't seen much of him, so that match was really interesting for me. Just curious.

Also, really happy for Warsaw's 195lb Royce. He pushed the action in that match the entire way, all the way into overtime. Didn't even earn a stall warning, which was absurd. But really, really good job persevering and pulling that one out.

Bradpaddock
You went 13-2 on your picks. Not to shabby. Grover yes good Greco guy. Did whole circute with me and the boys this past spring / summer. The kid is good. Come supers we will see the stall calls.

chucknorriscoverband
MamaWood wrote:
The LCAA tournament and wrestling in Livingston County is actually increasing in popularity...perhaps the wrong schools are being focused on? I was impressed with ALL the athletes yesterday as they showed heart, grit and determination. Especially impressed with the 2nd place team win by Keshequa ~ they may be young and they may be small but they truly wrestle like they mean business.

I disagree, And I'm not impressed with all the athletes. I hope a lot of the boys do camps, and some year round wrestling. When you can look at a bracket and decide the champ and championship final at 9 am! theres no depth! Also when you can run jv counties on 2 mats and varsity on 3 in the same gym on one day don't tell me numbers are up. The county tourney should be two days. Maybe jv friday and first round varsity. Now many kids cant place because of the 5 match rule, and instead of the tourney 930 am to 1030 pm on sat, we could all be home by 7 on sat, Even with the 4 hour finals! Its a money issue for counties, they don't want to pay the refs an extra day and no longer do trophies, just a print off a certificate.

Bradpaddock
Sorry, but, chuck is right here. I thought about a bit and this my pitch. JV county's, One day different venue. Give them there props. Make it a bigger deal. They are the generation next. Trouphys the whole smash..... Varsity must go back to two day format. 5 match rule is deal breaker. Kid works all year let them finish their tournament. Awards too long we can adjust. Hall of fame is one thing to fix. Give every body there due. Hall of famers getTheir recognition at dinner the night before. Saturday night is supposed to be about the kids have a Hall of Famer's hand out the awards. Wrestling needs to be more fan friendly. Ok so awards WHY NOT give out nice trophys. It's cheap and $ money can be raised. Heck I'll do it. Two day tournament finals 1st/2nd only one mat. I'm bringing these suggestions to the decision makers. Any input? I'm all ears

wrestlingphotog
I like it Brad...I will buy trophys as well, sign me up...I have lobbied for champions match..1 mat for years. 1st thru 6th is a huge time committment and really not necessary with all the wrestling yet to come in Feb.
Dale

Last edited by wrestlingphotog on Jan 20, 2015; edited 3 times in total

TallicaFan
Mayo is usually spot on when this time of year rolls around. Like I said in the past he should have his own radio show.

Not to change the subject but I was really taken back when I saw they had a memorial award for my friend and team mate Trevor Regan. He would have be thrilled for sure.

chucknorriscoverband
Brad as you know the coaches will need to vote on it at the beginning of the year, at the county meeting so something in writing will probably need to reach the coaches and get their thoughts on it first. I understand the LCAA is trying to save money, we all are but where hurting the sport at the expence of the athletes! Pretty sure most kids get to finish their football season, could you imagine a basketball team advances to the sectionals, at half time you look at your players and say we don't want to pay the ref so we forfeit.... What are we talking 500 for proper awards? and another 400 for refs on Friday? My father told me along time ago do it right, or don't bother doing it at all. Sooo....

You need to sell the younger kids on the sport, spotlighting them and a big award will weigh heavy on a kid when the basketball coach is trying to recruit him. It has my son all the weekends of an 8 yr olds crying cuz lil jimmy crossed faced him, are paying off it was the tropheys and travel that got him hooked. Now its a wrestling shoe fetish....

At the end of the day don't punish the kids and parents for a grand, im sure there are plenty of people myself included who would donate their time and money to have the tourney run proper.

Mayo08
Champion tees and brackets always meant more to me than the plastic. But regardless, there should be something for sure.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next