Isiah Martinez- the BEST in 50 yrs View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Isiah Martinez- the BEST in 50 yrs

LImarty
This kid is as OLD SCHOOL as you can get. STRONG/ GOOD POSITION/ CHANGES LEVELS/ DEFENDS/COUNTERS/ ...as good as anyone -

Almost gave up on this FUNK/JUNK gen. Watching the dominance of Dake/ Taylor still left me suspect of this current crop of stars.

Martinez as a freshmen is " the real deal".

quickpick
Agreed Marty, the finals this year were actually pretty decent to watch. I love that offense is making a comeback with Tomasello, Martinez and even Gwiz pushing the pace. IMar proved in the Big 10 finals that funk (DylanIdon'tshootIscorefromotherpeople'soffense Ness) can be beat by fundamentally sound offense. Tomasello's reshot hi-crotch is disgusting and IMar looks like he could go the distance. If this sport wants to win over fans, offense is the answer. Great post Marty.

goodshots
I agree, IMAR is a terrific young talent. Love everything about the kid, except is hair. However, with the way the parity is today, it would not surprise me to see another young buck come in next year and give IMAR some competition. He might even move up to 165 where a match against Dieringer would be worth the drive to Illinois or Oklahoma State to watch. I hope he goes undefeated and is a 4x NC, he seems like a great ambassador for the sport. That kid from Hilton seems to have a lot of the same qualities.... What's his name?

HHS83
Classic!

chickenwing
He wins 1 NCAA title, and now he's even better than everyone since 1965 including Cael Sanderson? Last summer he lost in the FILA Jr. Nationals to Anthony Valencia, who's still in HS (#4 p4p by Flo). IMart has a ways to go before I'm crowning the best in 50 years (which essentially = the best ever).

Marty you're as bad as the guys who are already crowning Yianni a multi-time NCAA champ. Of course it might happen, I hope it does. But there's a reason why Spencer Lee, who's his same year and weight, is ranked #2 p4p in the country. (Have they ever wrestled?)

mikef272002
I agree Imar is a great offensive minded wrestler. But I don't think 1 NCAA title gives him any right to be in a discussion of the elite best in the past 50 years.

My son who is in 10th grade said "I love how offensive Illinois wrestlers are and would love to wrestle there" .. Now that's just from watching a couple of Imar's matches and my son is just one kid, think of how many kids are out there saying that... The real winner here is Illinois wrestling team/coaches.. They will get some top recruits over the next decade because of Imar..

quickpick
mikef272002 wrote:
I agree Imar is a great offensive minded wrestler. But I don't think 1 NCAA title gives him any right to be in a discussion of the elite best in the past 50 years.

My son who is in 10th grade said "I love how offensive Illinois wrestlers are and would love to wrestle there" .. Now that's just from watching a couple of Imar's matches and my son is just one kid, think of how many kids are out there saying that... The real winner here is Illinois wrestling team/coaches.. They will get some top recruits over the next decade because of Imar..

Gotta win the first 1 before you win 4. Think about the other guys in this category.....Pat Smith, Cael Sanderson, Kyle Dake, and Logan Stieber. Would you consider these guys the elite best in the past 50 years? Anyone who wins it their freshmen year and goes undefeated (beating some very quality wrestlers), IMO is in this discussion until they lose. Even David Taylor and Ben Askren who IMO are elite lost in the finals. John Smith DNP his freshmen year. I think he deserves the acknowledgment now, even if it doesn't last through college. The potential is certainly there......

As far as Illinois, their HS program as a state has steadily been on the rise and I hope it transfers to college. Now that they are losing Jesse Stallgado maybe Martinez will bring that offensive mindset into the room.

LImarty
Interesting the demonstration of DOMINANCE without turns- and funky flurries.

I always believed that DOMINANCE can be displayed in various ways- Burrough's -takedowns, Dake's rides , Taylor's turns, Steiber" authority, ....Then I remembered how a BASIC dominant wrestler doesnt allow anyone to take him down, to be ridden ,to get turned, to get into funky flurries...Martinez displays this presense. This kid- IMO- looks like a wrestler who wont allow too many wrestlers to get the edge on him in any position.

I couldnt believe my eyes - watching- this kid's ability to DRILL some very good opponents this year.

Watching a kid like this - reminds me of some greats from yesterday.

TallicaFan
Let's get one thing clear. He is a 'redshirt' freshman. That being said its usually the case that he couldn't crack the line up in his true first year. So he hardly is the best in the past 50 years.

Also, it could of been one of those tournaments that everything went well as the case for 'almost redshirt' freshman Zeke Moisey from West Virginia. He beat some big names and came out of nowhere.

Jayden Cox, another example of dominance the prior year as a freshman only to fall to 5th this year.

Nah, your too premature on this one. When he gets to his third title (if he makes it) we'll talk.

quickpick
TallicaFan wrote:
Let's get one thing clear. He is a 'redshirt' freshman. That being said its usually the case that he couldn't crack the line up in his true first year. So he hardly is the best in the past 50 years.

Also, it could of been one of those tournaments that everything went well as the case for 'almost redshirt' freshman Zeke Moisey from West Virginia. He beat some big names and came out of nowhere.

Jayden Cox, another example of dominance the prior year as a freshman only to fall to 5th this year.

Nah, your too premature on this one. When he gets to his third title (if he makes it) we'll talk.

Woah, Woah, Woah, Woah, Woah Woah.....Woah...........Woah. Being a Redshirt freshman does not always mean that you cannot crack the lineup your true freshman year. Guess who else was a redshirt freshman? Cael Sanderson. He's not among the best in the past 50 years? Several factors can play into the reasons for a redshirt season. Most of the time, it's not the athlete's choice, it is the coaches choice. Rarely do guys get full rides that couldn't "crack" the line up their freshman year. He just went undefeated and won nationals. I would have to say going undefeated in the big 10 signifies more than just a good tournament. You're telling me he couldn't have atleast AA last year? I beg to differ. Premature to say he wins 4? Maybe, but don't downplay it either.

TallicaFan
[quote="quickpick"]
TallicaFan wrote:

Woah, Woah, Woah, Woah, Woah Woah.....Woah...........Woah. Being a Redshirt freshman does not always mean that you cannot crack the lineup your true freshman year. Guess who else was a redshirt freshman? Cael Sanderson. He's not among the best in the past 50 years? Several factors can play into the reasons for a redshirt season. Most of the time, it's not the athlete's choice, it is the coaches choice. Rarely do guys get full rides that couldn't "crack" the line up their freshman year. He just went undefeated and won nationals. I would have to say going undefeated in the big 10 signifies more than just a good tournament. You're telling me he couldn't have atleast AA last year? I beg to differ. Premature to say he wins 4? Maybe, but don't downplay it either.[/quote

Agreed its not the only reason for a redshirt. I'm not down playing what he achieved. But to label him the best in 50 years is a woah woah hang on to your hat REACH. Apparently LI hasn't read up on Aaron Pico.

LImarty
Ok. Of course my post was to raise eyebrows . Though, this wrestler has shown that all this NU SKOL technique means nothing to him. He is a standard type wrestler that displayed dominance doing the things a standard type wrestlers does.

Less technical wrestling performed with the utmost precision.

LImarty
LImarty wrote:
Ok. Of course my post was to raise eyebrows . Though, this wrestler has shown that all this NU SKOL technique means nothing to him. He is a standard type wrestler that displayed dominance doing the things a standard type wrestlers does.

If, this kid loses more than (3) matches in his College career- I'll give up posting.

IMO- he will go undefeated and win an Olympic medal- if, he chooses to.

mikef272002
LImarty wrote:
LImarty wrote:

If, this kid loses more than (3) matches in his College career- I'll give up posting.

IMO- he will go undefeated and win an Olympic medal- if, he chooses to.

Ok, Now I'm thinking this is getting crazy.. The level of D1 wrestling is so intense and competitive that you could wrestle the same exact tournament this weekend and 6 out of the 8 All Americans are different names in each weight class.. You can be an NCAA champion one year and hardly an AA the next. This kid is a great wrestler, but he's not going to go undefeated, He may win 4 titles and I hope he does..

duddems
LImarty wrote:
This kid is as OLD SCHOOL as you can get. STRONG/ GOOD POSITION/ CHANGES LEVELS/ DEFENDS/COUNTERS/ ...as good as anyone -

Almost gave up on this FUNK/JUNK gen. Watching the dominance of Dake/ Taylor still left me suspect of this current crop of stars.

Martinez as a freshmen is " the real deal".

Yanni is the real deal!
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next