David Taylor - HYPE View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
David Taylor - HYPE

LImarty
Outstanding HS wrestler and Outstanding Collegian wrestler in an ERA where the word GREAT is used too often and unsubstanciated in comparison with the past era's of GREATNESS. Where former wrestlers had less titles yet, IMO were GREAT.

Watching him on FLO- wrestling FS against older Russians. Well, only proved my suspicion that he isnt at this time anywhere near "GREAT" . He was used and abused. A boy against men. NO TIME FOR EXCUSES - NO TIME FOR SELLING ME FARGO RESULTS -

I saw Carl Adams/ I saw Dave Schultz/ I was around for the Banachs/ The Carr Bros/ The Petersen bros/ Kenny Monday. I saw a HS senior Jeff Thomas take it to a World Champ

"toto we arent in Kansas anymore"

chickenwing
Despite the commonly held belief that technique always beats strength, it's not true in the case of David Taylor. Kyle Dake, Jordan Borroughs, and Tsargush all overpower him. Tsargush out slicked him too, but when Taylor was on top for a sure 2, he didn't have the strength to break him down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5hDF_59YQ

LImarty
JMO- his weakness is in his legs. Not thick or strong enough and they are always available. His ankle pick in neutral wont work against the World's best.

At this level....you'd better be "cat like" and/or an "immovable object".

CALISTYLE
With all do respect!! That was 1 match and I bet Taylor corrects his style to beat him!!HE IS THAT DUDE!!!ha ha!! Guy has experience and Taylor is learning! HE WONT GO DOWN LIKE THAT!! Ha ha!! TIME WILL TELL!! Tuff to put down guys THAT TRAIN ALL THEIR LIFE FOR THISE MOMENTS!! Defently needs to figure some things out position scoring!! Ha ha!! LIKE I SAID TIME WILL TELL!! GUY IS A CHAMPION TO ME!!

LImarty
CALI,

sometimes the talent that you have is just not good enough. IMO- he will have a hard time attaining World success in FS. Limited takedown ability- easily put out of position- and reacts tardily. There is a reason why Cejudo/ Burroughs became Olympic Champs...exceptionally proficient in neutral. JMO- Taylor is not and will never be.

Raider92
Transitioning from Collegiate Wrestling to International Wrestling takes time for most wrestlers......even the undisputed GREAT Cael Sanderson....see below.

Give DT time to adjust, work on his technique and get stronger. I am not saying he will be a World Champ someday, but to say he won't is a mistake. Personally I am rooting for Dake to get it done first......but I would not take DT for granted he has a proven work ethic and pedigree.

Sanderson wasn’t quite as successful in freestyle wrestling as he was in collegiate folkstyle wrestling. In 2000, he went 17-6 and didn’t make the U.S. Olympic team while being defeated by Justin Abdou (Canada), Les Gutches (Sunkist Kids), Lee Fullhart (Hawkeye WC), Ray Brinzer (Dave Schultz WC), Mike Van Arsdale (U.S. Army), and Alexei Kaziev (Russia).[7]

When he concentrated on freestyle wrestling after his collegiate career was over, he had to work his way up to the Olympic Games. In 2003, Sanderson was defeated by Yoel Romero (Cuba) at the Titan Games and later lost to Romero again at the Pan-Am Games, Vadym Tokaev (Russia) at the Kiev Grand Prix, Khadsimurad Gatsalov (Russia) at the World Cup, and Sajid Sajidov (Russia) at the World Championships.

In 2004, Sanderson was also downed by Sajid Sajidov (Russia) at the Ivan Yarygin Memorial International and Lee Fullhart (Gator WC) at the U.S. Nationals. However, he was able to secure the Olympic team berth and proceeded to the Athens games.

Sanderson competed at the 2011 World Championships in Istanbul, Turkey. He lost to Sharif Sharifov of Azerbaijan and Albert Saritov of Russia and did not earn a medal.

LImarty
Ive always looked at Taylor objectively while others placed him at a superior level in HS an in College. I never saw him as being superior in neutral. Others like Dake/Jenkins also, were better scramblers-

I agree that historically most USA wrestlers need time wrestling Internationally. My doubt is in his anatomy. he is not built strong enough for his weight class- and his legs get in his way.

Sanderson was much better in neutral. Again, if you cant win the takedown then you must be an immovable object. I do not see Taylor as being proficient enough in either discipline.

JMO.

Bradpaddock
His anatomy? You see how he was in no trouble when Howe had that single leg up in the air?
I hear what you're saying but I am impressed that he is been in the top end nationaly since a child. I also get a little tired of the hype. But, that's not his fault. I'd bet good money he won't be Burroughs. Give the kids a few more years he might be one of the best in the world.

LImarty
Brad,

First off, hope all is well with you and your family.

I was much maligned for my Taylor opinions throughout his collegian career. Most of the ime I was baiting to see other opinions.

Taylor had sooo much ink out of High School especially, when he beat Palmer yet, neither showed in Virginia Beach to face possibly Ekstrom or Dake. Both NYS boys did win in Virginia Beach. Then Dake went to Vegas and did well.

I saw Taylor get challenged at I believe the Penn St Open- also, losing to Sanderson in his room- and then having a great RS season- eventually, making it to the NCAA Finals to be planted by Jenkins - and the rest is History.

David Taylor has displayed significant domination over lesser of opponents IMO- When he has reached the Top Nationally he has also, displayed successful results.

JMO- I do not think he will ever medal at the Worlds and / or Olympics.

LImarty
LImarty wrote:
Brad,

First off, hope all is well with you and your family.

I was much maligned for my Taylor opinions throughout his collegian career. Most of the ime I was baiting to see other opinions.

Taylor had sooo much ink out of High School especially, when he beat Palmer yet, neither showed in Virginia Beach to face possibly Ekstrom or Dake. Both NYS boys did win in Virginia Beach. Then Dake went to Vegas and did well.

I saw Taylor get challenged at I believe the Penn St Open- also, losing to Sanderson in his room- and then having a great RS season- eventually, making it to the NCAA Finals to be planted by Jenkins - and the rest is History.

David Taylor has displayed significant domination over lesser of opponents IMO- When he has reached the Top Nationally he has also, displayed successful results.

JMO- I do not think he will ever medal at the Worlds and / or Olympics.
PS. The Russian have 3-4 wrestlers at each weight that on any given day ARE the best in the World. Burroughs and takedown prowess wrestlers are the X-Factor that balances the World playing field...IMO- Taylor is very similar to those they wrestle in their own backyard. I do not believe he has the ability to IMPROVE his takedown ability at this level- and- I fear he will never have the leg strength to develope into an immovable object.

coachlaz
Just TF'ed the #3 guy in the world.

LImarty
NO DOUBT he will and can beat anyone - subjected to his style. I am not suggesting condemnation..lol. His style - at this level is suspect and imo has shortcomings.

techbandit
don't look now Marty...but ol'DT seems to be adjusting to international wrestling pretty well these days...couple wins over world medalists. He may be a late bloomer who if his body catches up to his technique/talent...may do some serious damage at the inernational level. He may put on what I call "man strength" as a late bloomer. Either way...good showing for the US team in Central Park.

techbandit
He did dominate Burroughs through the better part of their last match and then crapped himself at the end to dump last second. To me ...thats a mental block/confidence thing? He needs that one big signature win to get past and then he will be at his best at the international level. He's got a lot of solid competition in his own country for now.

LImarty
agree
Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next