Interview: Yianni Diakomihalis UWW World Champion/ 3x NY Sta View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Interview: Yianni Diakomihalis UWW World Champion/ 3x NY Sta

rhayes171
Yianni Diakomihalis is a three time NY state wrestling champion and UWW Cadet World Wrestling Champion from Hilton Central High School in Hilton, NY. He's a three time Super 32 Champion, two time flo national finalist and won it as a freshman. This Interview will air live 11/4/2015 at 7:30pm est.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/accessradiolive/2015/11/05/interview-yianni-diakomihalis-uww-world-champion-3x-ny-state-wrestling-champ

LImarty
Yianni D vs Bobby Derna- 96 lbs

Yianni D vs Ian Paddock- 119 lbs

Yianni D vs Alex Eckstrom- 130 lbs

please- elaborate.

REMEMBER , COMPARING INDIVIDUALS IS THE HIGHEST FORM OF COMPLIMENT

quickpick
Yianni D > Bob Dierna- because V. Arujau > McCormick IMO. This is the only one that I think Yianni could have lost, simply because Dierna may have been a little better than Yianni at this point. Still giving the edge to Yianni because he made it happen in a tough weight.

Yianni D > Ian Paddock- Close but Pappas and Daly (Vespa too) were better than anyone that Ian wrestled at states at 119. A Nickerson vs. Yianni matchup at 119 would have been great to watch because I think their styles would have clashed.

Yianni D > Alex Eckstrom- Yianni has proven capabilities at a national AND international level at this time and would not have lost to Eckstrom. I don't think this would be a very close match.

LImarty
Yianni is outstanding though, I think wrestling is not at this point. Alot of one dimensional coaches who really cant raise the level of wrestlers- imo. Alot of scrambling due to INCOMPLETE set-ups and NOT finishing moves.

Yianni is an excellent scrambler- BUT, he would have lost to Piccininni- a takedown artist...a year ago. Piccininni would have had a hard time with the above mentioned.-IMO.

Dierna/ Paddock both at 96 lbs- MUCH superior than Yianni D

Ian Paddock over him...and Ekstrom imo- would have won today against Yianni.

btw- Nickerson as a 119/125 lber would have beaten the majority of ALL since the mid/late 90s.

Boy how easy it is for those who forget about Gillespie. Needle, Chinn...to name a few..lol.

quickpick
No one forgot about Gillespie, Needle and Chinn. I graduated in 2004 I remember all of them well. I agree that scrambling makes up for some deficiencies in set-ups and finishes however it is a technical part of the sport now. Ben Askren was able to make scrambling a part of his technique and I don't think he had poor set-ups. Dylan Ness has poor technique but makes up for it with great hips and awareness so I think it depends on the individual wrestler. Watch Yianni's WNO match on flo, he is just in good position all of the time. Pletcher is the best wrestler in his weight class in the country and Yianni went up a weight class and could have won that match. Yianni also won at the international level this summer. You can't argue with results. Just because you perceive his scrambling as a deficiency doesn't mean it's not working....at every level.

LImarty
quick,
here is where my opinion differs. If, I can think Piccininni would beat Yianni without using the age difference- it is by way of "takedown". An expert in neutral doesn't allow for scrambles. Using Pletcher as an example...Piccininni took target practice on him.

Yianni will have to become more proficient in neutral at the next level...and must show a desire to ride for at least 1:00 min.

btw- I think you would have to reevaluate your opinion on Ekstrom. I believe Alex was better than Piccininni at equal weights.

vanwilder141
Marty,

I for a change disagree with you, you under valuing Yianni's technical approach to wrestling especially on his feet. If you think that Yianni is only funk on his feet you are really missing the majority of what makes him great.

For his sake lets hope he's just like Dake 0-1000 in fantasy match ups and extremely successful in reality.

LImarty
van,

The kid has proven he is solid- and- my observations may definitely be off a little...yet, until I see him wrestle a kid that is exceptional in neutral- a sniper- I will wait.

Though, I do agree with you . Dake was not ever superior in neutral yet, he usually scored the 2- on other guy's attacks. Yianni def seems to have this ability.

Let's not forget that Dake could also ride the snot out of you.... IMO-Yianni needs to get stingier when riding..

btw- If, you remember . THEY were all talking about Palmer/ Taylor/the PA kid/ the Brandon kid. While the rest of us were enjoying the rise of Kyle Dake-

provocateur
This kid is set to be the 2nd 5 time champion in NYS history. He's a cadet world champion and he is continuously testing himself against the best in the nation in folkstyle. Perhaps now isn't the time to second-guess him.

LImarty
When a wrestler of any caliber - stops- raising his game and/or -stops- improving on deficiencies. Then he has completed his term "on the mat". The BEST, know that they can improve.

IMO- Yianni hasn't shown a propensity to "ride" and he doesn't score too many takedowns- off his shot. At the HS level- all good. At the College level- not.

ps. DO NOT GET DELUSIONAL WITH THE AMOUNT OF CHAMPIONSHIPS WRESTLERS ACHIEVE. IT IS DETERMINED BY THE ABILITY OF THEIR OPPONENTS. LATELY, NYS WRESTLERS WHO ARE MULTIPLE X STATE CHAMPIONS ARE NOT MAKING A DENT IN COLLEGE DI WRESTLING. WITH EXCEPTIONS FOR A FEW. THE AMOUNT OF NYS AAs HAS CONTINUEOUSLY GONE DOWN.

goodshots
Marty-
I didn't realize you got ok'ed by the Hilton school board to attend practices.. you must have, right? I mean, you must be spending everyday with YD, to know what he drills on an everyday basis..
Your insight is sometimes well represented, however, stop talking junk about a high school JUNIOR.. I bet if he resided on the island, he would be the second coming of god..

backsuplex
goodshots wrote:
Marty-..........
I bet if he resided on the island, he would be the second coming of god..
LOL

johnnyrooster
goodshots wrote:
Marty-
I didn't realize you got ok'ed by the Hilton school board to attend practices.. you must have, right? I mean, you must be spending everyday with YD, to know what he drills on an everyday basis..
Your insight is sometimes well represented, however, stop talking junk about a high school JUNIOR.. I bet if he resided on the island, he would be the second coming of god..

Nice goodshot! But didn't you know that Martina knows everything about everything? The rest of us are just a bunch stupid basketball nerds not worthy of conversation.

LImarty
Out of context.

Fella's Yianni has distinguished himself as one of the BEST current wrestlers in New York State. He has displayed his talent across the Country- no doubt- no argument.

My opinion is from what I see- I see a wrestler that has a tremendous ability to scramble - against the top kids in the Country. My speculation - has merit. Against the top kids around he to me has not shown the ability or the need to ride and while he defends the takedown- he is usually not the one initiating it.

My only question is his future success. Right now - there is no question.

provocateur
He's not just one of the best in NY now. He's on course to be one of the best ever.

How many times does he AA? He's a student of the sport. He's got a big future.

Between Dan Hunt, Jon Cardi, Al Palacio, Frank Fronhofer, Adam Mariano, Troy Bouzakis and Jeff Prescott (All 3 timers in 80s and prior in a one-class championship) - how many NCAA titles did they win? Prescott won 2. How many AAs? To be fair, one or two of those guys were injured (Bouzakis), but that's going to happen every now and again.

Compare that with Nickerson, Jantzen, JPO, Gillespie, Glenn, Gwiazdowski and Dake. It's not even close. Please don't tell me how Jeff Thomas would have had chunks of these guys in his stool.
Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next