Monroe County division shake-up View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
Monroe County division shake-up

mattime
This year the 3 divisions in Monroe County Athletic Conference have been restructured. My question is who comes out on top and why? Thoughts?
For me -
Division 1, if it stays the same, could see some fireworks for years to come. Hilton now and with the larger youth programs in Fairport and Penfield it could be anybody division title for the taking down the road.
Division 2 is going to be who can scrap and motivate their team to the top. Spencerport and Churchville can take it. Brockport has new coaching and can go either way.
Division 3 could come down to who has a full line-up. Forfeits will kill anyone's chance to take the title.

Division 1
Fairport
Penfield
Hilton
Rush Henrietta
Webster Schroeder
Victor

Division 2
Brighton
Brockport
Canandaigua
Churchville Chili
Spencerport
Webster Thomas

Division 3
Batavia
East Irondequoit
Greece
Gates Chili
HFL
Irondequoit

tampacuse
If someone could explain to me how Greece can be division 3 when they have 2 xs more students to choose from than ANY school. It's all bull%#%@

coachlaz
I coach in the city and am allowed to draw from 3-4 different schools every year. I have 2x as many kids as other AA A schools as well. There has been recent youth development, but we do not have community based rec programs for each high school, lots of kids in clubs, boosters, and parental support. We get beaten by rural schools with 1/8 our student body population. I'm guessing that Greece is in division 3 because if you cycle back the past 5+ years, they have not beaten the schools above them in duals. This alignment clearly demonstrates strength of program as much as size. No knock on Greece. They have their share of studs, history, and talented up n' comers. They just are not as stacked as the top Monroe County teams in the current landscape and do not have an established youth program to harvest from.

fivecountfor3
The problem with Greece is they have No youth program, No dominant High School and I believe the head coach stepped down. Also I believe Batavia & Attica are now combined.
Can someone explain to me how Sectionals will be put together?

mattime
fivecountfor3 wrote:
The problem with Greece is they have No youth program, No dominant High School and I believe the head coach stepped down. Also I believe Batavia & Attica are now combined.

Great question. I have no idea.

coachlaz
Sectional classification is solely done based on BEDS numbers/ student population. Strength of program means nothing. It is entirely done based on how many students attend the schools that the wrestling program can draw from. I have not seen any information yet on realignment or official classification with new mergers. Could be interesting.

tampacuse
If it is based on past success I have no problem with that. However I can see the divisions changing about every 5 years. I think divisions based on success it great for wrestlers and fans.

firemenj
tampacuse wrote:
If someone could explain to me how Greece can be division 3 when they have 2 xs more students to choose from than ANY school. It's all bull%#%@

The new divisions were first done based solely on population, and then sent to coaches and athletic directors for review, so teams had the option to request to move up or down. For example, Brockport and Brighton would be division 3 based solely on population, but requested to move up to 2. Greece and Gates agreed to move down.

The divisions are usually shaken up every 5 years or so anyways, they always are at every sport. Football, Basketball, Wrestling, baseball, every couple of years or so it tends to change. The big shift across sports has been away from geographic based divisions like they used to tend to be to population based ones. Wrestling was one of the last sports to make this shift. Last year it was essentially D1 east side, D2 west side, and D3 was other. Wrestling just wisely gave their coaches and ADs options to request a shift based on what they felt was best for their respective programs and the sport in general.

And yes, sectionals is solely student body size. That comes from NYSPHSAA. Divisions is MCPSAA, so they can tweak them however they see fit. Sectionals and county divisions are two completely separate things.

firemenj
coachlaz wrote:
Sectional classification is solely done based on BEDS numbers/ student population. Strength of program means nothing. It is entirely done based on how many students attend the schools that the wrestling program can draw from. I have not seen any information yet on realignment or official classification with new mergers. Could be interesting.

Yeah, these are usually put up on armdrag not too long after the season starts

backsuplex
fivecountfor3 wrote:
For Batavia/Attica in sectionals. Each schools BEDs number are combined and that will be the sectional classification. I will site the ER/Gananda football team as an example.

quickpick
It's only a percentage of the smaller school's enrollment that will count toward sectionals. For example it would be Batavia's BEDS + 20% of Attica's which would give the total number for sectionals.

Mayo08
Batavia and Attica combined? It looked like Attica's program had pretty good numbers last year... what's up with that?

I believe Warsaw and Letchworth might be combined for wrestling this year, too. I know they were for football, at least.

Geneseo apparently didn't get a coach either, after Carmen stepped down, and are now combined with Avon.

Looks like lots of shake up in the Section V landscape this year.

-- Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will. --

techbandit
no way should warsaw and letchworth combine...warsaws tough enough, if they combined w letchworth theyd stomp all D2...probly will anyway. bport will b fine and win their league...ferris put solid guys in place before he left. rispoli will be great, carella has been there forever and knows his stuff, borelli and the guys are solid, youth program set up right...they wont fall off...but will miss ferris...great coach. hilton all day for a while in their division. until a couple families decide to change districts...lol. good luck to all the tough kids puttin on the mat in section v!
Page 1 of 1