NCAA- BIG 10- 197lbs View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
NCAA- BIG 10- 197lbs

LImarty
I do not know if any of you are following the action going on at Penn State Univ. - specifically, at 197 lbs

PSU... has (3) 197 lbers (one injured) that could all probably AA and/ or win the NCAA DI Tournament- yet, due to the RIDICULOUS representation limitations - only ONE will wrestle for PSU in the BIG 10 Tourney. While in fact inferior 197 lbers from across the Country in other Conferences will qualify for the NCAA DI Tournament.

again, EQUAL REPRESENTATION is not the right means at finding the BEST 8 at each weight.

BTW- Cassar/PSU- dec. #1-Moore/OSU 6-3.

NYS's Shakur Rasheed/ PSU dec. Cassar/ PSU 7-4 (WRESTLE-OFF LAST WEEK).

quickpick
These athletes choose the college they go to. While they benefit from the PSU practice room/coaching staff, they are also well aware of the fact that it will be a battle for who will start. If they don't like it, they can transfer to another university (i.e. Bubba Jenkins to ASU, Bryce Meredith to Wyoming, Marstellar to Lockhaven). Marty, it will NEVER be equal representation anywhere in life. Get used to it.

Falcs96
It's still stupid. It's an individual tournament, so why can't Penn State, or any other school for that matter, qualify 2 kids at 197 if those kids are good enough?
If a kid is a great wrestler but is stuck behind Kyle Dake in the pecking order, he shouldn't have to leave the whole damn school to be treated fairly.

duddems
Giod topic...agree with points from each post. Hard to say whats right. I crapped when i saw casser beat moore...i was just starting to learn about rasheed. Wow they are stacked w toughtalent. What recruiting at PSU!

duddems
Rasheed has been crushing everyone, casser started the season as their 197...wow...obviously both AA and nat champ candidates. Old school wrestle off before big 10 or go w whoever is healthy?

quickpick
Falcs96 wrote:
It's still stupid. It's an individual tournament, so why can't Penn State, or any other school for that matter, qualify 2 kids at 197 if those kids are good enough?
If a kid is a great wrestler but is stuck behind Kyle Dake in the pecking order, he shouldn't have to leave the whole damn school to be treated fairly.

I'm not saying I like it but you have to draw the line somewhere. These kids had their option of going anywhere in the country to wrestle in the first place. Most schools lately have been pretty receptive it seems to granting releases. Bryce Meredith saw the writing on the wall at NC state and left and has had a great career since, even though he is at a much smaller profile school (at least it was). Kanen Storr just left ISU and many other changes have happened in the past couple of years. Again, it's not ideal but the line has to be drawn somewhere, you can't send everyone.

WrestlerofthePast
I'm just thrilled LIMarty is alive and well.......I don't see the problem in sending a max of TWO, kinda like what we have here for sectionals. Be interesting to see which two wrestlers from the same school meet in the DIV I NCAA Finals first.....doubt it'll ever happen though....

duddems
quickpick wrote:
Falcs96 wrote:

I'm not saying I like it but you have to draw the line somewhere. These kids had their option of going anywhere in the country to wrestle in the first place. Most schools lately have been pretty receptive it seems to granting releases. Bryce Meredith saw the writing on the wall at NC state and left and has had a great career since, even though he is at a much smaller profile school (at least it was). Kanen Storr just left ISU and many other changes have happened in the past couple of years. Again, it's not ideal but the line has to be drawn somewhere, you can't send everyone.

Right on

LImarty
quick,

Not making an excuse for LIFE. lol.

Just saying- The Rules in qualification. REWARD the inferior without CORRECTING the obvious to me. There are a lot of wrestlers coming from weaker Conferences that have "no shot" at the Podium. The fore mentioned would.

"imo"...that's not right.

jessefeffer
What an outstanding dual between OSU and PSU. Great atmosphere, high drama, Nolf out of the lineup and Snyder vs. Nevilles needing to win by major to decide the match.

In keeping with LIMarty' original thought, I always thought it weird that HS should have a 220lb class whereas the NCAA goes from 197 to 285lbs. Having an 11th weight class would be a better tie breaker and the fact that many body types are a natural fit there and not at 285. The 98 kg. weight class in international competition recognizes this fact. This would mitigate the situation at PSU that Marty brought up.

Falcs96
What do you mean, "you have to draw the line somewhere"? Why not just allow each team to enter 2 wrestlers per weight class at their conference tournament? Only on a rare occasion would both end up qualifying for the NCAA tournament. And this is that rare occasion. Cassar or Rasheed don't deserve to have their season end without getting a shot at an NCAA championship. They may both be top 5 nationally in their weight class!! I don't see what the big deal is. A kid shouldn't have to transfer because he unfortunately has a strong kid in his weight class on his team. Maybe he likes his school! These are academic institutions, remember? Transferring due to a wrestling rule is extremely unfortunate. And don't assume either of them saw "writing on the wall." They both arrived trying to become the best wrestler the could be, and elevated themselves through hard work. That should be rewarded, not punished. Rasheed showed up at 160. I'm sure he didn't envision what the 197 situation would be 4 years ago.

duddems
Falcs has it right...its a bit of an unfortunate situation...but they will both make each other better. I doubt either of these studs accepts that they arent the guy...so they will push each other. It will give them both a future....and a powerful degree.

duddems
jessefeffer wrote:
What an outstanding dual between OSU and PSU. Great atmosphere, high drama, Nolf out of the lineup and Snyder vs. Nevilles needing to win by major to decide the match.

In keeping with LIMarty' original thought, I always thought it weird that HS should have a 220lb class whereas the NCAA goes from 197 to 285lbs. Having an 11th weight class would be a better tie breaker and the fact that many body types are a natural fit there and not at 285. The 98 kg. weight class in international competition recognizes this fact. This would mitigate the situation at PSU that Marty brought up.

duddems
Sorry ...miskeyed last message. But college wrestling needs a class between 197 and 285. Its not fair to your 230 lb studs.

quickpick
Falcs96 wrote:
What do you mean, "you have to draw the line somewhere"? Why not just allow each team to enter 2 wrestlers per weight class at their conference tournament? Only on a rare occasion would both end up qualifying for the NCAA tournament. And this is that rare occasion. Cassar or Rasheed don't deserve to have their season end without getting a shot at an NCAA championship. They may both be top 5 nationally in their weight class!! I don't see what the big deal is. A kid shouldn't have to transfer because he unfortunately has a strong kid in his weight class on his team. Maybe he likes his school! These are academic institutions, remember? Transferring due to a wrestling rule is extremely unfortunate. And don't assume either of them saw "writing on the wall." They both arrived trying to become the best wrestler the could be, and elevated themselves through hard work. That should be rewarded, not punished. Rasheed showed up at 160. I'm sure he didn't envision what the 197 situation would be 4 years ago.

If it is only on a rare occasion, why change the rules across the board? It is an unfortunate situation and one that I hope Rasheed comes out on top in. Cassar should have seen the writing on the wall as McCutcheon was the guy at that weight when he signed up. The NCAA allows like top 7 at a weight in the Big10 to advance to NCAAs, that is the "advantage" given to schools that are in the Big10. Smaller conferences don't send as many because they know that top 7 probably wouldn't do well at the tournament. By draw the line somewhere I mean if you enter 2 per weight, at every weight at the conference tournament, you now could end up with a 64 man bracket for a qualifier! This is an unfortunate situation for these guys but I just don't think that the rules should be changed across the board when they knew there was a possibility that they wouldnt be the starter.
Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next