Tentative State Brackets View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Tentative State Brackets

jessefeffer
Things of note:

Russo in for Putney at 138? Russo is/was A5 but just wondering about the backstory. Silver lining is to see that Putney is a junior and not a senior. Always tough to see a senior run into some mishap for their last shot at the States.

Falconer with 4 #2 seeds. They should be in the mix for a DII "team title," if they still bother with that designation.

Andreessen is highest DI seed for section VI with a #2.

Section VI D2 with 14 wrestlers seeded in the top 4. Might they be contending to be the top section in D2? These are all from 132 up (Braddell with a 5 seed.)

At 152, 160 and 195, Section VI has the #2/#3 seeds. I am really surprised at the #3 seed at 152 and it almost happened for a fourth time at 170 as Sarow got a #4 seed.

Look them over and add some more observations.

I might actually make it to Albany this year. Some interesting stories to follow in the VI.

Heisenberg
Dont forget Willie McD, #2 seed at 132 D1. Decent shot to make it to the finals.

matburn
Site Admin
In case you're wondering, as I was... some D2 brackets have 17 entries. The extra guy is from NYSAIS (Assoc. of Independent Schools).

chucknorriscoverband
I was curious to what the (A) was . How do they qualify for the state tournament ?

Falcs96
It's weird. Most of those kids are from Horace Mann and Hackley, and they weren't even the winners of the NYSAIS Tournament. A couple didn't even place. They look like they're just randomly added.

jessefeffer
Heisenberg wrote:
Dont forget Willie McD, #2 seed at 132 D1. Decent shot to make it to the finals.

I missed that first time through. Would be nice to boost the DI point total in the tournament. Strikes me that the DI team is relatively young overall. Should be a stronger team next year.

Section III DII with only 8 wildcards this year but has 8 #1 seeds. I'd like to see section VI make a run at them in the team race but will need to pull some upsets to do it.

matburn
Site Admin
Falcs96 wrote:
It's weird. Most of those kids are from Horace Mann and Hackley, and they weren't even the winners of the NYSAIS Tournament. A couple didn't even place. They look like they're just randomly added.

Some of the NYSAIS teams, like Poly Prep & Long Island Lutheran, go to the National Prep Tournament, which is the same weekend as NYSPHSAA.

https://www.nationalprepwrestling.org/

ksl66
The AIS team causing an extra round (2 with the wrestle back round ) in d2 and Section 10 having a d1 team with 1 school are the two biggest issues with the state tournament.

Guys wanna complain about the wild card system, seeding, eliminating the small school division or the elimination of the 99lb weight class: however here are two spots dedicated to representatives who either didn’t or didn’t have win their qualifying tournament and weren’t subject to the at-large selection process.

madmami
Is anyone else noticing that section3 kids were separated in the brackets, not on same side and giving them all a good chance to not run in with one another and advoid eliminating one another, while other sections including 6 are most on same side. Another thing i noticed is most of section 6 kids who are not seeded and even those who are have the number 1 seed either first match or second match. How do they get these horrible draws year after year..! Almost seems set up that way, to happen. and not the computer randomly done. My spouce and i with a few others had this convo today. Just seems odd, i mean other sections non seeded wrestlers dont get the first seeded kid the first match, year after year. We actually called it before they posted the brackets. Then you have section 3 saying on thier form, that thier seeding committee is able to keep thier wrestler away from each other and giving them the advantage to stay alive and good for team standings at states. Why is our seeding committee unable to do the same. Not sure how this works, but its repetitive year, after year.. and like i said we called it before was posted. Seems not believable that its random if done every single year... i dont know, just thinking out-loud

chucknorriscoverband
Stop your bellyaching it's basically the best 16 kids in the state and you seed the top eight. Do you think your conspiracy theory is going to help your seeding for next year? or this year? A lot of people are not happy with their seeds but if you have the horse power you'll make it happen.

Falcs96
Why is that even a complaint anyway?? There's an advantage to having 2 kids from the same section on the same half of the bracket. If they meet, one of them is guaranteed to move to the next round......and since only the wrestler who garners the most points counts for his section, how is that a bad thing?

I mean c'mon, Section 6 has 2 kids on the same side of the bracket in only 4 weight classes, and none of them will end up making it past the quarters or even wrestling each other anyway.

madmami
chucknorriscoverband wrote:
Stop your bellyaching it's basically the best 16 kids in the state and you seed the top eight. Do you think your conspiracy theory is going to help your seeding for next year? or this year? A lot of people are not happy with their seeds but if you have the horse power you'll make it happen.
i am not talking about seeds, i am talking about the non seeds. And how it just so happens the same way every year, and its called random.? How is it random if every year its the same song and dance. I am not even referring to my sons, i was looking at others brackets. and apparently i am not the only to notice it. Others has as well. I am trying to understand it, thats all.. dont need a smart a** response or say oh i am calling it conspiracy.. geesh can anyone ask, or think out loud without ppl having some bs response. Perhaps it will be looked at tho because like i said, how is it random if happens every year basically the same. Funny section 3 feels like its thier committee who keeps them seperate. Is that possible? Just trying to gain some knowledge how it works, if your unable to help then.. move on

madmami
Falcs96 wrote:
Why is that even a complaint anyway?? There's an advantage to having 2 kids from the same section on the same half of the bracket. If they meet, one of them is guaranteed to move to the next round......and since only the wrestler who garners the most points counts for his section, how is that a bad thing?

I mean c'mon, Section 6 has 2 kids on the same side of the bracket in only 4 weight classes, and none of them will end up making it past the quarters or even wrestling each other anyway.
i dont see any advange having them both on same side, i would think advantage is having 1 on each side. And i wasnt not just speaking about sec6 others sections as well. But what brackets are you talking about d1 or d2.? My point is about how is it random when it seems to be the same every year.? Is it random like they say, or is it something else used to choose who goes where? Just trying to figure this out, sec 3 seems to be happy they are all seperate and claims it helps for team/section points for the tournament. Shoot even some wrestlers from sect5 asked the same thing yesterday. So i cant be the only one thinking and wondering this myself

Falcs96
I just told you what the advantages were to having 2 kids in the same side of the bracket.......guaranteed advancement if the face each other, andd won't see each other right away in wrestlebacks. How is that not an advantage? You know only one wrestler per weight class has their scores count, right? And these aren't weight classes where you have a McDougald or Andreesen either, so these kids wont even face each other even though they are on the same side of the bracket.

BTW......I was talking D1.

Falcs96
Last year, Section 3 won the D2 tournament. They had multiple wrestlers in 12 weight classes. In 6 weight classes they were on opposites sides of the bracket, and in 6 weight classes they were on the same side of the bracket.

So in conclusion, Section 3 won the tournament because......THEY'RE GOOD!!!
Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next