Frankie G an d Vito A View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Frankie G an d Vito A

faceinthemat
What's going on w Franki G? I assume he redshirted...I have a hard time believing he wouldn't be the top starter for Ryder in the weightclasses he could make since their wrestlers aren't top 20 guys and I believe Frankie would be. Is it just that he will gain another year of experience, maturity, manstrength (which he doesn't need any more of)? I feel like he would def qualify for NCAA's right now and possibly cause some havoc. Any light on his current situation? I also think Vito Arajua would have a shot at AA but hasn't been in Cornell's lineup until recently at 125 which is pretty light for him. I believe he could beat many ranked wrestlers at 125 or 133 and have a hard time believing Chaz Tucker gets the better of him (although Tucker is very tough). Any light here?

Dragtrip
Frankie did redshirt this year but wrestled the Scuffle this week at 149 un-attatched. Unfortunately didn't look very good... went 0-2 getting majored and pinned. Hopefully it was just a bad tournament and he will rebound strong!

Oldguy75
I agree, Frankie did not look great at The Scuffle (he was actually spladdled/pinned), but then again, a lot of great high school wrestlers do not fare well in their first D1 year. Frankie will rebound and be fine. I also agree that Vito does have a good chance of becoming an AA and yes, Chaz got the better of him one on one.

Caelknows
Frankie lost to some quality kids this weekend. He will need some mat time against this type of opponent, especially if he stays up at 149. Kids got to his legs in high school and his freakish strength was an asset turning opponents shots into points. This weekend Berge was in quick and finished quick many times as the match went on. It will be fun to see if and how Frankie evolves. A redshirt is probably a blessing for his development. Vito is at a weight now that he can really make a run through the NCAA tournament bracket. Legitimate threat to AA and place high. Having both Tucker and himself in the lineup is huge for Cornell. Wait till next year when Darmstadt is back.

ringworm2000
Frankie was supposed to go 141 this weekend and was not able to get down so he went 149. So his training and mindset were not right...probably would have made sense to pull him from the Scuffle. He will be fine next year and be ready to fully compete at 149. He actually looked pretty good against Berge in the first period....he just wore down. I assume this was from trying to get to 141 and not having the strength of others at 149.

Vito lost to Tucker earlier this year and had to go down to 125. I would be surprised if he did not AA this year.

provocateur
Vito has the talent, but I wonder how much the cut is hurting him.

Myboys
It doesn’t seem to be hurting him that much. Vito Is like 5-0 with some Quality wins I to think he will AA this year top 4 if he stays focused.

LImarty
DI is a tough place.

More chances suggest that NYS's best - may not make it at this level.

NYS Athletes should REALLY. REALLY.....REALLY evaluate their decisions to go DI.

ringworm2000
LImarty wrote:
DI is a tough place.

NYS Athletes should REALLY. REALLY.....REALLY evaluate their decisions to go DI.

Marty why are you back....no one and I mean no one wants your opinion. We all already no it. You think NYS wrestlers are terrible....although all evidence is to the contrary. This year alone NYS will have multiple guys AA and more future AA from the great wrestling state of NY are on their way.

quickpick
By my best guess we'll have Yianni, Vito (no clue how he's making 125), Rasheed, Piccininni, and possibly Deprez who was ranked #8 up until the scuffle. There are a couple others that have a chance like Andrew Shomers, and Frankie Garcia who made a splash last year at NCAA's.

curtisroad
[quote="LImarty"]DI is a tough place.

NYS Athletes should REALLY. REALLY.....REALLY evaluate their decisions

LImarty,

You should never post again, you truly are an idiot.....

LImarty
lol...curtis and your 27 posts.

THE "LEGEND" STILL LIVES.

Vito is at 125- to me he doesn't look comfortable here- we'll see. IMO his future is in FS. BTW. 133 is ridiculous this year and 125 was the RIGHT choice by Koll.

Frankie G....will struggle at this level. Hope, he sticks it out or finds a more adequate DIII Program- and- gets his degree.

Im allowed my 2 cents.

btw. McKenna OSU at 141- looks AMAZING- this is my present pick.

Lastly, RING DING....on a DI basis - NYS High School wrestling has been on a 25 yr decline- NUMBERs determine strength of a State. Other States are just getting better . PERIOD !!
If, you look at it OBJECTIVELY. Suffolk Co. wrestling has been the premier location for QUALITY DEPTH yet, for the last 20 years- the BEST wrestlers are not in the most populated schools- Go further and just use Dake and Gwizardowski...both came from High Schools no bigger than a CVS Drugstore . IMAGINE- if, the production was coming from all around the State and from the LARGEST Schools.

Crossface212
In addition to the potential D1 AAs from NY previously named in this thread you can add Youssif Hemida (returning AA) and Bryan Lantry if he is not too hindered by injury.

quickpick
LImarty wrote:
lol...curtis and your 27 posts.

THE "LEGEND" STILL LIVES.

Vito is at 125- to me he doesn't look comfortable here- we'll see. IMO his future is in FS. BTW. 133 is ridiculous this year and 125 was the RIGHT choice by Koll.

Frankie G....will struggle at this level. Hope, he sticks it out or finds a more adequate DIII Program- and- gets his degree.

Im allowed my 2 cents.

btw. McKenna OSU at 141- looks AMAZING- this is my present pick.

Lastly, RING DING....on a DI basis - NYS High School wrestling has been on a 25 yr decline- NUMBERs determine strength of a State. Other States are just getting better . PERIOD !!
If, you look at it OBJECTIVELY. Suffolk Co. wrestling has been the premier location for QUALITY DEPTH yet, for the last 20 years- the BEST wrestlers are not in the most populated schools- Go further and just use Dake and Gwizardowski...both came from High Schools no bigger than a CVS Drugstore . IMAGINE- if, the production was coming from all around the State and from the LARGEST Schools.

Marty, we go over this every year. 4-8 AA's is about all we have ever had in any year in DI. I think we're gonna be around there this year again based on the current rankings and how NY guys have been finishing. Wrestling has nothing to do with school size, though it is a problem that a school that graduates 1500+ can't get guys that produce at the next level like schools that graduate 200+. Sounds like your real problem is with LI wrestling, not necessarily NYS.....

LImarty
quick,

I respect your opinion....BUT, considering that Long Island has been the most productive REGION for quality depth- not singular individuals. Yes, Long Island wrestling in top populous leagues- is no longer superior to smaller leagues and communities. This alone - is not healthy for the climate of wrestling throughout the state. With this being said- the productivity of NYS HS multiple champs for the most parts are not making a dent at the DI level...this includes 2X 3X, 4X, NY Champs....this is from ALL-PARTs of NYS.

As far as DI- AAs....some/ most are not AA-ing until their 5th year or do not last at Institutions with the exception of very few,

Who was Long Island's last NCAA Champion ?? When did he wrestle ??

If, Dake and Gwiz can make it to the Top- at the Top level...then, please explain why others rarely make it . Remember Lansing, NY and Duanesburg, NY are not the Top of NYS's HS wrestling food chain.

Just a rational observation from someone who has seen NON-NYS Champs make it to the DI Podium.

Section 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11........Who and When ??? It's been a while for any DI Finalists. Section 4 and Section 5...helped your average- in the past 12 years- Sec. 2- thank goodness for Gwiz.

It's a State thing.

Last edited by LImarty on Jan 10, 2019; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 10
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next