A preliminary vote of 8-3 in favor of removing the weight class
And that a official statewide vote will take place in June

Citing many reasons why 99 should be eliminated
1- 99 being forfeited at to high of a rate
No percentage was given
2 coach’s bringing up athletes to fill spot who are not varsity ready
3 no other state has the weight class
Among others

This being said I am a fan of 99 and would not like to see it fall by the waist side
IMO make it optional and do Not count it dual meet scores unless agreed upon by both coaches
But keep it in the post season

ksl66
Sucks and short sighted, NY has a long history of having the 91, 96, 99 lb weight class. This weight has traditionally been a catapult to greater successes. It’s not like we have seniors sucking down and winning this weight every year.

I agree, remove it from Dual meets, but keep it at the state tournament.

For years the best wrestlers in the state have won that lightest weight

Myboys
Not sure how removing 99 will help wrestling in NY. I’m a bit surprised that section 5 would vote it out. They are know to have great wrestles come threw the state tournament. Just this year they had 2 state champs and possibly the greatest wrestler ever started his career at the 99. Look it’s easy you want to save wrestling fix the JR High wrestling. We are not even close to having something that works. So I believe the state should do that first. Trust me if coaches are voting it down there is a reason and the reason is there not putting the time in the off season. So they don’t have them wrestlers. Wrestling is a sport unlike most you can be small and be great and be noticed for it. I’m sorry that’s not true for football and basketball. If they are trying to cut weight classes down to 10 than they should look elsewhere in the line up to do so. Like 126-152 these guys are usually cutting a ton of weight anyways 182-220 find a way to have 2 classes there. To me 99 is the guy that is the backbone to your team in the future that’s all.

Burkead145
I’m not in favor of the 99# weight class and it has nothing to do with the modified option for 7th and 8th graders. For me it is the first step in the right direction of making NY wrestling better. As a state we are view as JV, slow, and soft among other states. Yes I know we have a few individuals that excel at the national level but there is no depth at all in NY and that is not debatable. By conforming to the standard it will do 3 things: A: get people talking seriously about the sport and B: standardize us with what other states are doing C: make the smaller athletes grow and get bigger/more competitive.
I’ve read the social media complaints ( “ This is BS, I’m holding my kid back then” or the parent who suck his kid down for the trophy just to come up short at high level tournament, my kid won’t be able to wrestle until 10th grade - love this comment kid should be a jockey then. Can’t fight genetics. ) and it seems they are coming from those who have someone who this change will effect but as a state and for us to be more competitive on a national level then I’m ok with the decision.
For those of you who are affected by the change, let you wrestler grow, eat, lift, grow, have fun and grow physically and mentally to handle all that a varsity level team, school or club will put in front of your wrestlers in the coming years.

quickpick
Myboys wrote:
Not sure how removing 99 will help wrestling in NY. I’m a bit surprised that section 5 would vote it out. They are know to have great wrestles come threw the state tournament. Just this year they had 2 state champs and possibly the greatest wrestler ever started his career at the 99. Look it’s easy you want to save wrestling fix the JR High wrestling. We are not even close to having something that works. So I believe the state should do that first. Trust me if coaches are voting it down there is a reason and the reason is there not putting the time in the off season. So they don’t have them wrestlers. Wrestling is a sport unlike most you can be small and be great and be noticed for it. I’m sorry that’s not true for football and basketball. If they are trying to cut weight classes down to 10 than they should look elsewhere in the line up to do so. Like 126-152 these guys are usually cutting a ton of weight anyways 182-220 find a way to have 2 classes there. To me 99 is the guy that is the backbone to your team in the future that’s all.

I agree with this statement but we have done nothing to fortify the Jr. High programs. Most schools have two modified basketball teams with 15 kids on each roster instead of letting the kids know early on that they probably aren't going to make it and should start looking for a different sport earlier. Maybe this move will help to keep kids down on the modified level, however I see most teams still pulling kids up to avoid a 2 month season with a school employee that knows nothing about the sport coach him. I don't all together disagree with the move, there are a ton of forfeits everywhere in the state. I also don't think that this will help increase participation or all together fix the forfeit problem. It does not address the underlying issues.

Oldskool
#save99

Raider92
I am not against dropping the 99 lb weight class, but there are a handful of kids it will affect. But let's not think this will in anyway make wrestling better in NYS, how does it do that? Until the modified system is fixed our numbers will stay stagnant. We need a modified system that is modeled after Ohio IMO. Start them in 6th grade run it through 8th grade. Have Sectionals, State Qualifiers and States for that level. And only 4-years of Varsity...no bumping up. Build up the competition and younger teachers who wrestled will want to coach it, it will be a training ground for wrestlers and for up and coming coaches. Unfortunately this all takes money and somehow the highest taxed state in the country does not have any.

132nomore
First and foremost
I am in favor of 99

MS school sport on a whole need a complete overhaul
For the love of god even the name “ modified “
This being said they are still young kids
I have no problem with the 5th quarter or extra innings in baseball for kids who don’t see the field

But the same needs to be done in Wrestling
15 match dual using USA wrestling schoolboy weight class 1-130-130
And then as many exhibition matches as available All 1-1-1
Mat time - mat time - mat time
a sectional tourney would be great and long over due addition

As far as the few kids coming up early -not every youth wrestler is ready for the next level in 7th grade
Despite what Mom and dad may think

how many parents are even aware of the special classification rules and process
Most would be better served Staying on MS being a team leader
Hone skills and get ready for HS it will come fast
Be ready when you number is called

LImarty
with weight certifications and if, adhered to. 99 lbs is no longer a legitimate High School weight class.

Organic_Lemonade
Get rid of it

132nomore
Michigan made a weight change this season

For the 2018-19 wrestling season, Michigan will continue to use the traditional weight classes of 103, 112, 119, 125, 130, 135, 140, 145, 152, 160, 171, 189, 215 and 285.

A change that needs to be made
Wrestler needs to certify for scratch weight
No more backing into weight class after the plus 2 is added after Christmas
It is meant to be a growth allowance for the weight class not to allow kids to come down

mikef272002
I like the 99lb weight class to develop young guys, gets them more experience. However, as many said, the real issue is the modified season. Most of these kids fall way behind. You take a kid that comes out for wrestling at the age of say 12, he wrestles for the youth program, then moves up to modified the next season. Wrestles for 6 weeks and is done. the next year he wrestles for modified for 6 weeks and is again done. He now has a total of roughly 12 weeks in 2 years of modified. Goes to varsity in 9th grade and is behind most other kids in the country. Having the 99lb weight class at least helped a couple kids move up and get more mat time. NY needs to extend modified season to a regular season and include a modified states weekend. Then 99lb weight class would be meaningless at the varsity level. Getting rid of it now, without fixing the modified season and we're setting the state back even more, less wrestlers will get mat time. Therefore, it will be a downward spiral. Less mat time = less enthusiasm in the sport = less wrestlers. More wrestlers will not come back.

This is why PA has a much larger group of wrestlers and NY is falling more and more behind.

132nomore
👍👍
Nice post mike

quickpick
LImarty wrote:
with weight certifications and if, adhered to. 99 lbs is no longer a legitimate High School weight class.

2009-2019 State Finals

96 Mike Soria (KP/Section XI) > Corey Rasheed (Longwood/Section XI) decision 7-0
96 Mark West (Hauppauge) > Eric Lewandowski (Lancaster) decision 2-1
96 Kyle Kelly (CF) > Dylan Realbuto (Somers) decision 7-4
99 Kyle Kelly (CF/Section IV) > Jose Rodriguez (Wantagh/Section VIII) decision 6-3
99 Yianni Diakomihalis (Hilton/Section V) > Vito Arujau (Syosset/Section VIII) TB 3-2 (3OT)
99 Jacori Teemer (LB/Section VIII) > Adam Busiello (ESM/Section XI) fall 4:36
99 Adam Busiello (ESM) > Benny Baker (NV) major decision 11-1
99 Greg Diakomihalis (Hilton/Section V) > Dylan Ryder (HHHW/Section XI) decision 7-4
99 Brandon Nunez (JB/PSAL) > Terry Adams (MF/CHSAA) decision 5-3
99 Stevo Poulin (Shenendehowa/Section II) > Chase Liardi (Massapequa/Section VIII) decision 6-1
99 Gregor McNeil (Hilton/Section V) > Killian Foy (MA/Section VIII) major decision 17-5

A good portion of NYS's best in recent history, have started at this weight. Again, I would love to have an established Middle School program, state wide, that could develop wrestlers and increase participation. However leaving these guys down, only to beat everyone around them is not helping participation and cultivating better wrestlers. Addressing the Middle School problem either first, or simultaneously has to be done or we will have set ourselves back years.
Page 1 of 4
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next