MMA is open . View previous topic | View next topic

Page 1 of 1
MMA is open .

LImarty
LIABILITY imo will disrupt the 2020-2021 Wrestling season. Actually, without a vaccine you may not see Wrestling at any level for awhile.

BUT,

I WOULDNT BE SURPRISED....To see College DI wrestlers in their last yr or two of eligibility moving to MMA. Financial opportunity.

quickpick
MMA has been a better financial opportunity since Dana White became president of the UFC. I’m not sure what Covid-19 means for next wrestling season but I don’t think that wrestlers will be flocking to MMA anymore than they have in the past. I am more concerned about collegiate sports in general next year. If college football gets cancelled or they have to play an entire season with no fans in the stands, MANY collegiate sports will be cut and wrestling will likely be at the top of the list.

LImarty
quick.

A very interesting and sad truth. SPORT in general will be lessened in some form. Football Factories will stomp loudly because of revenue. In general seems more feasible to develop MINOR LEAGUES or CLUBs for the next decade. The financial ramifications are not all visible at the moment. Then again...this COVID strain may be a one time hit. So, '21-'22 would be more realistic.

I think Dana White has a HUGE opportunity here. Piccininni was given another NCAA year- yet, with Lee and an unsure '20-'21 season. He went MMA. I would think others may do the same.

I gotta admit. WHEN I SEE A PAINTING....I SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE. lol !!!

Raider92
LImarty wrote:
quick.

A very interesting and sad truth. SPORT in general will be lessened in some form. Football Factories will stomp loudly because of revenue. In general seems more feasible to develop MINOR LEAGUES or CLUBs for the next decade. The financial ramifications are not all visible at the moment. Then again...this COVID strain may be a one time hit. So, '21-'22 would be more realistic.

I think Dana White has a HUGE opportunity here. Piccininni was given another NCAA year- yet, with Lee and an unsure '20-'21 season. He went MMA. I would think others may do the same.

I gotta admit. WHEN I SEE A PAINTING....I SEE THE WHOLE PICTURE. lol !!!

Piccininni was given another year? Where did you read that...no Winter Athletes were given additional years due to Covid-19. I wish they were, if this is true that he got another year please tell me where you read that.

LImarty
Raider.

I did read it somewhere. I may be 100 % inaccurate on what I read.

wrestlinggrandpa
LImarty wrote:
Raider.

Here is one place: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-wrestling-nick-piccininni-announces-transition-to-mma/

I apologize; I responded as though the MMA was being questioned, when the question really had to do with the extra year of eligibility. I could not find where Nick was given an extra year but did find where winter sports were excluded from the extra year of eligibility because they got much of their season in before the shut-down.

Raider92
wrestlinggrandpa wrote:
LImarty wrote:
Raider.

Here is one place: https://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-wrestling-nick-piccininni-announces-transition-to-mma/

I apologize; I responded as though the MMA was being questioned, when the question really had to do with the extra year of eligibility. I could not find where Nick was given an extra year but did find where winter sports were excluded from the extra year of eligibility because they got much of their season in before the shut-down.

I knew he was going MMA (which is awesome can't wait to watch him) but was wondering about the extra year....I have only read that no spring athletes would be given another year. Either way Piccininni had an awesome career will be a force to in the MMA world.

LImarty
LImarty's opinions always get abused yet, usually are a day early and most times accurate as a Rolex time device.

WHY ?? I think it will be more fashionable for some HI-PROFILE wrestlers to make the switch.....The avenue is open to a League or in some variation of a Club. I am one who highly doubts that ' 20- '21 will be lost. How many wrestlers are gonna sit out a year ?? How many are close to graduation ?? How many are poor students ???

I believe Belator was fashioned this way (???). The MMA isn't for everyone yet, I see some that will be lured to it - especially, without a wrestling season.

BTW. Lock up many of these riot opportunists !!! Enuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quickpick
No one is abusing your opinion here. If the season is cancelled, there may be some who jump to MMA but if not I highly doubt that there will be many more than three ever have been choose MMA over collegiate wrestling. The two most notable guys who bypassed college to go the Olympic and/or MMA route are Henry Cejudo and AAron Pico and I would argue that neither of them are further ahead than most successful collegiate guys. You can have both and by the way the guys who are on full scholarship (I realize it’s very few) are doing just fine for themselves and have no reason to leave college for money.

LImarty
quick.

My only reason for the thought.....Not every athlete earns a degree. Not every athlete likes his residence other than his sport. ALL will have to earn a living doing something after school...anyway.

Current economic climate suggests employment / salary not adding up to much .

quickpick
LImarty wrote:
quick.

My only reason for the thought.....Not every athlete earns a degree. Not every athlete likes his residence other than his sport. ALL will have to earn a living doing something after school...anyway.

Current economic climate suggests employment / salary not adding up to much .

I do agree with a a lot of that. It will be interesting to see how many kids go back in the fall in general. I think college is losing its appeal to some extent as the ROI decreases. Not worth a $100,000 education for a $30,000/year social work job. I hope it’s not true, I was looking forward to a full season with no Olympic Redshirts.

LImarty
THE MORE THINGS CHANGE....THE MORE THEY STAY THE SAME.

the 70s had MANY 2 and 3 sport athletes who never went to College due to economic reasons within their homes etc. Today, it is fair to say their are MANY College degrees that are just pieces of paper. Someone once said.."Get your college degree they cant take that away from you ". Sounds nice. I say choose a path and do it the best you can.

Had a close friend in HS..who was at the Top of the Class- A+ student. excellent athlete...Got an academic scholarship to Brown Univ. had many scholly offers to DI schools too. After high school he moved to California . He didn't go to college. He became a custom furniture maker. He retired a very wealthy man. More importantly he did what he wanted to do.

quickpick
Marty, what are your thoughts on the 13 weight classes?

LImarty
I would much rather 12 and starting at 108/110 lbs.

Middle school kids who can weigh 100 lbs + and can beat 110 lb HS aged wrestler...so be it.

Though. I am no longer supportive of the 98 lb weight class at the HS level. Not enough HS aged wrestlers.

Ps. The continued loss of participants and the watered down level of competition points to ONE DIVISIONAL Tourney and MULTIPLE ENTRANTS based on size of Section. How long have l said this ?? Lol. More rellevent today especially, now with COVID being a focus.
Page 1 of 1